Pamac update fails, while pacman succeeds

I updated today. pacman -Syyu works without problems, while pamac update fails (see quote below)

>>> pamac update                                                                                                                                     
Preparing...
Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
Aktualisierung von core.db...                                                                                                                           
Aktualisierung von extra.db...                                                                                                                          
Aktualisierung von community.db...                                                                                                                      
Aktualisierung von multilib.db...                                                                                                                       
Fehler: multilib.db: GPGME-Fehler: Keine Daten                                                                                                          
Ungültige oder beschädigte Datenbank (PGP-Signatur)
Synchronisation der Datenbanken fehlgeschlagen
Nothing to do.
Transaction successfully finished.

Btw. pamac seems to ignore LANG=C, LC_MESSAGE=C and LC_ALL=C. Is there a way to get all the messages translated?

pacman -Syu is the normal command to update, -Syyu is used when you have corrupted database.

Pacman manpage shows Sync Options for pacman -S

Passing two --refresh or -y flags will force a refresh of all package databases, even if they appear to be up-to-date.

pamac update --force-refresh is equivalent to pacman -Syyu

No mention of whether pamac update equivalent pacman -Syu also failed to refresh-databases

pacman -Syu seems to work normally. It does not update the multilib.db, so it could be due to that.
pamac update --force-refresh results in the same error.
It seems to be a problem with some gpg keys so I also tried to refresh the keys as mentioned here, which did not resolve the problem

>>> pamac update --force-refresh                                                                                                                     
Preparing...
Synchronisiere Paketdatenbanken...
Aktualisierung von core.db...                                                                                                                           
Aktualisierung von extra.db...                                                                                                                          
Aktualisierung von community.db...                                                                                                                      
Aktualisierung von multilib.db...                                                                                                                       
Aktualisierung von core.files...                                                                                                                        
Aktualisierung von extra.files...                                                                                                                       
Aktualisierung von community.files...                                                                                                                   
Aktualisierung von multilib.files...                                                                                                                    
Fehler: multilib.files: GPGME-Fehler: Keine Daten                                                                                                       
Refreshing AUR...                                                                                                                                       
Resolving dependencies...                                                                                                                               
Checking inter-conflicts...
sudo pacman -Syu                                                                                                                              [1]
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community                                                        7.6 MiB  12.9 MiB/s 00:01 [#####################################################] 100%
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

I found a solution (no clue why I did not find that yesterday :face_with_raised_eyebrow::sweat_smile:)

I used pamac update --force-refresh which installed some AUR packages instead of the official ones, so I think using pamac update --force-refresh --no-aur would be better (untested).

It might be better but it had nothing to do with your issue.

--no-aur option is needed only if Enable AUR support is enabled in pamac-manager Preferences

if Enable AUR support is not enabled -a or --aur option is needed to refresh AUR and check for updates

Data in post#1 does not show pamac refreshing AUR so --no-aur was not considered relevant

Not with the issue, but with the solution.

After changing SigLevel to DatabaseNever and deleting all files in /var/lib/pacman/sync/*, pamac did not recognize any of the installed packages as official packages.

So when I ran pamac list -m it basically showed all installed packages.
And running the update three packages from AUR xcursor-breeze, v86 and some python package, I can’t recollect. Those were apparently newer in AUR than in the official repos (or my system).

Afterwards (probably due to updating the databases), all packages were recognized as in the official repos again and another check for updates reported the three recently updated packages as newer than in the repos…

Anyways, it is resolved now. :tada:

I don’t know why AUR was not refreshed. AUR support was actually on all the time :person_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.