Pamac-QT - a new QT5-UI for libalpm

pamac
qt5

Hi developers,

currently we are working hard to enhance pamac to be come our official package manager go for. We already accomplished a simplified debian-like syntax via pamac-cli. Additional we provide python-bindings.

@guinux is already planing to document the needed syntax of the pamac source so a QT5-UI can be easily created. @Chrysostomus might start at some point with the QT5-UI, however other developers may also be part of it.

Would be great to push this project to the next level.

Pamac-qt

Yay on everything about this.
Besides ditching pacman.
It may set us apart … but I’m not sure it will be in a good way.
(remember pacman also provides tools like paccache, etc)

In any case, we’ll roll with what happens I guess. :wink:

I’ll be interested to see who has QT chops and steps up.
I have very limited experience, but will probably be amending that in the near future.

35 posts were split to a new topic: Replacing pacman via pamac-cli

I’m interested in be part of the team of Qt5 developers.

I have some experience in creating application using Python and PyQt5.

It would be a great way to implement the python bindings for a qt version of pamac.

I want to join the development as well

I am so glad that a QT GUI for Pamac is in the works.
I love the way Pamac does things, I never got to like Octopi that much.

So when Pamac QT is ready for testing let me know. It could cross off another gtk app from my KDE/QT desktop. :slight_smile:

Does this mean we will also get a manjaro-settings-manager-gtk package at some point? :heart_eyes:

This would mean a GTK developer does the opposite. When we started we all were focused on creating QT applications of all our tools. Since Guillaume however loves GTK and Gnome, that application was created in vala and gtk3 to match his needs.

I like your thinking. In the flip reverse manjaro-settings-manager is the only QT app remaining for me to cross off of my Gnome rig.

This is great news for KDE on arch. I say on arch, because it could spread beyond Manjaro. I mean, even Antergos use Pamac on their KDE flavor instead of Octopi.

Octopi is cool and works great but… I don’t know, it dosn’t feel as right as Pamac in the end. I have to say that the lil’ octopus icon of the notifier it’s the cutest thing ever and I would miss it dearly, that’s right.

Unfortunately I don’t know to code myself, but if you need help translating things into spanish or something easy like that, count me in.

I’m interested.

Is there already a GitLab repo? If so, how can we join or follow the discussion?

Might contribute some lines or more, depending on available time.
I do cross platform C++ Qt5 development mostly (widget style, but no qml for now).

Pamac in Qt sounds great but is it really needed though? We are basically duplicating efforts. Why not improve pamac GTK (flatpak/snap support for example) and use it also on KDE and other Qt based editions? Or is it to eventually make pamac-qt the official supported one by the Manjaro devs?

@c0de: currently we only have the pamac repo. @guinux is currently working on python bindings, which are not yet released. Pamac itself has a cli and gtk UI. What is missing is just a qt5 UI. Which means:

• syntax and engine interpreter (for libalpm) will be still developed by @guinux, which includes also the cli
  • we will have python bindings for 3rd-party applications to interact with given engine interpreter
  • the qt5 UI may use the python bindings or pamac-cli

So basically the UI design of gtk should be adopted and recreated with qt5, so we simply have two frameworks to choose. This is done similar with libreoffice. The only “double work” would be to keep the two UIs in-sync. In the end we need a qt5 manager and tray.

Hi all,
first for people who doesn’t know I’m the Pamac developer. This project started six years ago and the idea to add a Qt5 interface is old by I must admit I have no experience in Qt5. So I continued to improve Pamac in Gtk but never find time to learn Qt5.
Now the idea is launch again I’m glad that some contributors want to help.
Because Pamac is written in vala I can easily generate python bindings so I currently working on reorganizing my code to allow it.
I propose to some of you which want to contribute to start working on the UI design with QtCreator and share their work. Ideally I would like a user experience close to the Gtk interface but you can also make new proposition we can discuss.
Once with have the empty UI we can start working on the code to populate it, a part I can help much better.

If you are going to use the python bindings you could also use the now officially supported Qt python bindings. Because python is more common I think you eventually will find more potential contributors, but C++/Qt is probably much faster and lighter on resources, and better documented…

The important decision if going with Qt is whether you want to use the qml stuff for the UI or just plain QtWidgets because the design process and tools are completely different. Again, I think Qtwidgets are faster and lighter but fancy graphics with animations are probably easier to do in qml.

The maintainer of the QT UI can decide that on his own. Our goal is to minimize the workload of @guinux in all of this. The approach going with python-bindings in combination of QT-python-bindings would be the way to go here.

noob question
With the python-bindings, obligation to have pamac installed on our kde :thinking: pamac package will be cut into core and gtk-gui ?

@papajoke: we will split the pamac package as needed when we are ready to start coding. Currently we have the following binaries:

pamac /usr/bin/pamac - CLI-TUI
pamac /usr/bin/pamac-clean-cache - helper for cache cleaning
pamac /usr/bin/pamac-installer - helper for installing local packages (GTK dialog)
pamac /usr/bin/pamac-manager - GTK-UI
pamac /usr/bin/pamac-system-daemon - system daemon for pamac
pamac /usr/bin/pamac-tray - GTK tray helper
pamac /usr/bin/pamac-updater - Symlink to pamac-manager
pamac /usr/bin/pamac-user-daemon - user daemon for pamac

So we might have a pamac-installer-qt, pamac-manager-qt and pamac-tray-qt soon. Depending on the usage, we will either disable the UIs via desktop environment detection or provide split packages.

I assume QML is the better way to go here. Have to see, if I can create a UI based on the current pamac UI with qt creator

Pamac Python bindings are available !