Pamac Qt 0.2 Beta

Terminal is more readable, also interactive. I know that pamac has gui for the terminal questions but it still feels better and gives us reassurance that if something goes wrong (and UI is not ready for it) you can do something about it. Or maybe because bash on Manjaro has some better formatting, or is it pacman formatting? Terminal feels like you are in control. Output in pamac feels just like you are watching something you lost control over it.

I admit, this is much more needed in Octopi, because Octopi can't handle well many exceptions, while pamac can, so the need to have terminal install isn't that needed, but still...

The fundamental difference is that Octopi is wrapping pacman so it can show you pacman's output. Pamac is interacting directly with libalpm so the output will not be the same as pacman's.

Even when you use the pamac cli the output is different than pacman's.

Ah, this is why it's different. I could't put my fingers on it, but the pacman output is just superior. On pamac, meh, it can be and it's not that important, but I miss pamac output.

I guess others answered already that pamac-qt is not Octopi, but I guess I was trying to mimic what I do today in Octopi. It never occurred to me to expand details

I admit this is not the most popular use case but I have a libalpm hook which triggers after initrd rebuilding and its command requires user input.

1 Like

Could somebody replicate a problem?

Fresh install of the testing ISO, enabled AUR, but silent failure installing google-chrome.

Also could not perform today's update via pamac-qt, but was successful with:
$ sudo pacman -Syyu

Hey. It's been a long time. My education year is over and I have one free week before the exams to work on Pamac.

Does anyone else has problems with opening package description and updates page?

4 Likes

I do. When I right-click a package and choose "Details" pamac-qt crashes. When I want to apply updatem pamac-qt crashes. Basically it's useless at this point. It wasn't behaving that way before so I assume some updates introduced problems.

It was also crashing in kde-dev-minimal iso.

I'm currently using repo version: pamac-qt 0.2.0-1, testing repo.

Output when I try to update:

qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:315:9: QML Page: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
Action: Synchronizing package databases...
i965: Failed to submit batchbuffer: Incorrect file descriptor
QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = pamac-qt path = /usr/bin pid = 3300
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/pamac-qt 
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0

(process:3300): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 19:22:19.589: inotify read(): Incorrect file descriptor
Debugger's trap/breakpoint (segefault)

Output when trying to see Details:

qrc:/src/qml/HistoryDialog.qml:20:9: QML TableView: rowHeightProvider doesn't contain a function
qrc:/src/qml/PagePackageTable.qml:19:9: Unable to assign [undefined] to QmlFuture
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:57:9: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/src/qml/AboutDialog.qml:8:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/src/qml/PreferencesDialog.qml:16:5: Unable to assign [undefined] to int
qrc:/src/qml/SearchPane.qml:81: ReferenceError: searchImage is not defined
qrc:/src/qml/MenuItemDelegate.qml:35: ReferenceError: index is not defined
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:273:13: QML StackView: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
<Unknown File>: QML QQuickContentItem: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:124:9: QML Page: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
qrc:/src/qml/MainWindow.qml:119:5: QML QQuickItem: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
<Unknown File>: QML QQuickContentItem: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
<Unknown File>: QML QQuickRootItem: ScrollBar must be attached to a Flickable or ScrollView
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = pamac-qt path = /usr/bin pid = 3617
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/pamac-qt 
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0

[1]+  Stopped              pamac-qt

If you need full output (I cut the beginning that I thought was irrelevant) let me know.

So it's not only my problem. I'll look into it.

Updated, try it out

My unstable says there is nothing to do and https://repo.manjaro.org/ says the repo is up to date, but I still have:
Version : 0.2.0-1

Use git pkgbuild from second post of this thread

OK, details page is working now. Haven't checked updates or install yet (recently updated) but I assume this will be working correctly now too.

It's a bug of qqc2-desktop-style (again). I've just worked around it in all such places.

With the latest

Version         : 0.2.0-2

from the unstable repos, I was able to install google-chrome from the AUR.
Thanks.

Been using pamac-qt a lot, noodling around with it trying to um... break it. :crazy_face:
Hasnt crashed once when I refresh the database. But it crashes like crazy when I try to get the details of a package. Before it crashes it hangs something terrible.
I notice that this is a reported problem but in the build I'm using it isn't fixed yet maybe?
Screenshot_20190610_182340.

It was the one offered to me this morning with KDE updates.

I do have the coredump. Hopefully it's helpful. Link (it's loooooooong)

Is this what you mean by get the details?
Screenshot from KDE-Dev, fully updated.

If you're replying to me, yes those details. :slightly_smiling_face:

Same version as I'm using as well.
:woman_shrugging:

I know it sounds crazy, but three things you can try (probably in order if increasing inconvenience):

1. Create a new user which should get the default theme. I have seen many problems mysteriously solved when default themes are restored.
  2. Switch to unstable and update in case some library needs to be updated
  3. Create a new VM, and try the KDE-Dev in case I am benefiting from a beta library.

Well it's a desktop style bug. The latest git update includes a "fix" (kind of) for it.
@philm please can't you update a package version with this fix? Looks like Pamac Qt isn't usable now without it (idk about @mparillo case since it wasn't working for me either. Maybe qqc2-desktop-style got fixes in the latest git version).

P.S. I'm working on pamac-qt again (but update relase date is about the end of June because of my exams).

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark