Pamac never automatically checks for updates.

It never checks the updates, unless I re-login or manually click the update button.

You're better off without it anyways.

More meltdowns from that automatic update notification than anything else. Simply check the update thread for your branch on the forum. You'll almost never get a bad update if you read the release notes before ever performing an update.

Just my opinion, but you'll be saving yourself a whole world of pain by not mindlessly pressing the auto-update button.

5 Likes

There's a difference between checking and actually updating. I never update thru pamac, but it checks for AUR updates for me...

1 Like

It checks for me only if I click the update indicator in Pamac or re-login, otherwise, it never pops out the notification.

Is your firewall somehow blocking it?

My firewall is disabled.

Have you possibly changed the refresh period in pamac's preferences?
Do you have Update Notifier enabled at login?

Open a terminal and run: cat /etc/pamac.conf | grep RefreshPeriod to make sure that the RefreshPeriod is not set to 0, which means that is disabled.

RefreshPeriod = 4
Do I need to install update-notifier to make it work?

Look first among your startups to see if it is enabled or not. Not sure where in Gnome you'll find that. Somewhere in System Settings or some such.

It should be automatically install, shouldn't it?
if you run Xfce or Plasma or Cinnamon, at least, you should be able to easily check autostarted apps thru the GUI, too.

As I remembered, it told me that they were orphaned packages, so I removed them (dunstify and this).

Ah, okay. If you reinstall pamac and let it pull down whatever it needs?

The pamac-tray-appindicator is not installed, I hope it works.

1 Like

Not sure if it is a dependency for pamac-gtk:

$ pacman -Qi pamac-gtk
Name            : pamac-gtk
Version         : 8.0.4-7
Description     : A Package Manager based on libalpm with AUR and Appstream
                  support
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://gitlab.manjaro.org/applications/pamac
Licenses        : GPL3
Groups          : None
Provides        : pamac=8.0.4-7  pamac=8.0.4-7  pamac-gtk=8.0.4
Depends On      : pamac-cli  vte3>=0.38  gtk3>=3.22
Optional Deps   : None
Required By     : manjaro-application-utility
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : pamac  pamac-aur  pamac-gtk
Replaces        : pamac
Installed Size  : 610,00 KiB
Packager        : Philip Mueller <philm@manjaro.org>
Build Date      : lör 10 aug 2019 16:20:27
Install Date    : tor 22 aug 2019 01:01:04
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : Yes
Validated By    : Signature

I would install both update-notifier and pamac-tray-appindicator.

1 Like

What's your DE ? On xfce, gnome and cinnamon you should have a visible tray icon if checking for updates is enabled.

Gnome3
There is a tray icon, but it never checks for updates, I need to open it, click the Updates indicator to check the updates, or I need to log out and log in again, because it only automatically checks for updates when I log in to the desktop.

According to this pamac checks for updates every 4th hour. Have you never ever got notifications for existing updates? I see you are on stable branch, didn't you get any notification at the time of the last update Sep. the 5th or soon afterwards? If your system is up to date and you are not getting any notification, then maybe there aren't any.

I'm on unstable branch. I have been running my PC for all day long, no any update notification, but when I click the Updates indicator, there are updates.

Alright. I was mistaken because your profile said stable branch. Here you can follow the timeline for updates for the unstable branch:
https://forum.manjaro.org/c/announcements/unstable-updates
If your system is up to date, so there doesn't seem to be any updates since Sep. the 3rd.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark