Pamac list order

Is there a reason why the system default 'relevance' method for installing software puts SNAP first, followed by Flatpak, followed by SNAP, then AUR, and SNAP, and then a quick entry from the Official Repo before another Flatpak, and a SNAP...

Snap, Flat, Snap, Aur, Snap, OFFICIAL, Flatpak, Snap

It just seems many folks are taking the FIRST option, then entering forums complaining about problems with the SNAP.

Can Pamac be fixed? This seems to be a huge bug.

I think the default 'Sort by' should be fixed. At least an option to have Official put to the top, followed by general 'relevance'.

It's the reason I will not go to 'add' software via GUI in my system... but it's not how it should be.

1 Like

I think the problem is more like - not understanding what the different types of installation requires for the given application to work.

Also the extra repo are not enabled on a new install (I need to check if it is so)

This would imply the user has explicitly enabled e.g. snap with the added confusion to the available versions.

But does it really matter?

The idea is list order - is there any logic to it ? If not why not ? Can we have some ?
If there is then why is it this way ?

I have also seen requests from folks to able to set the ordering, or to be able to skip searching aur by default, etc.

2 Likes

Yes, I know I enabled them all - but I kind of dislike the way SNAP is listed as the top answer by default.

I always give an extra click to order by repository - but then I always tend to use yay to search and install.

I'd like some logic to the list - and that would mean as a DEFAULT option, we should have OFFICIAL first, and extras (like Flatpak and especially SNAP) lower down the list.

We need @guinux for this as I have had that thought myself :slight_smile: simply because

what defines relevant ?

My personal opinion does not matter - but I like to think that a package list cannot be defined by relevance - and when you see it that way - the option is irrelevant and the sort-order would logically be by repo with official at the top - just as @ben2talk has raised.

2 Likes

It's of course difficult to see the relevance criteria with one search example and I think we always can found an example where the ordering is not the best, especially because it's also a matter of taste.
To give some explanations, to order search results by relevance, Pamac uses many criteria. It take into account the search terms match and the repos as you guessed but also if the package has appstream data, because many times users are more interested in a program than a library.
In this particular example the first result is in top not because it's a Snap but because it's seems to be what the user search whatever the origin of the package.
For me the problem is that too many packages from official repos lake for appstream data.

1 Like

I appreciate this.
I would, in that case, respectfully advise that the effect for noobs is that they will unwittingly install SNAPS in 'relevance'....

I guess it's not so easy to get criteria and have official options at the top of the list by default then?

Don't forget that you can select Repositories on the left panel to only show packages from repos.

This isn't the point.
The GUI must be suitable for complete noobs... remember, some people come from Windows, or worse still from Ubuntu, and they want to install something... like Visual Code.

I do a yay search and find two options there - choose a binary install of the free, or the other sexy M$ one, and that's good.

Noob comes along, searches Visual Studio and installs first option. Why the need to click a filter? Surely the DEFAULT option is the best?

Then we get noobs in the forum asking 'why is my Code SNAP not working right?'.

So....who decides which option is the "best". I think if you read enough topics here you will see that opinions are highly split on that.

Further, how would that be implemented? Does someone go through the many thousands of packages and manually rank them?

Lastly, your example search is very complicated. vscode has many variations and the one in the repos is named simply code. Further, there are functionality differences between the different versions of vscode.

I understand implementing 'relevant' results is a headache. I just feel that on the few times I used 'add/remove' I need to do lots of clicking... so much work.

I guess I'm biased and don't like the SNAP coming up top - I don't understand why and I think ordering by repository first would put better options at the top.

Certainly with yay, the best two options for most people are the first two options.

Last go - add/remove find 'compare' and see where meld, kdiff3 and kompare come up. I guess web search is really the best tool for the job.

Forum kindly sponsored by