Pamac is asking to update packages installed from manjaro repos via AUR!?

But almost all these packages (except openvpn3) had been installed on my system from official/community/extra manjaro packages, so this makes no sense. See some examples:

Even you can see pulseaudio-ctl AUR does not even show up as an option when searching… The expected / previous behavior (in my opinion) would be that pamac would suggest updates, when available, but always from the same source. Like pkg → pkg, or aur → aur, but never pkg → aur.

This started after the major update from this week:

[2021-07-13T23:53:15+0800] [ALPM] removed pamac-snap-plugin (10.0.6-2)
[2021-07-13T23:53:15+0800] [ALPM] removed pamac-flatpak-plugin (10.0.6-2)
[2021-07-13T23:53:15+0800] [ALPM] removed pamac-common (10.0.6-2)
[2021-07-13T23:53:33+0800] [ALPM] installed libpamac (11.0.1-2)
[2021-07-13T23:53:33+0800] [ALPM] upgraded pamac-cli (10.0.6-2 -> 10.1.3-3)
[2021-07-13T23:53:34+0800] [ALPM] installed libpamac-flatpak-plugin (11.0.1-2)
[2021-07-13T23:53:37+0800] [ALPM] upgraded pamac-gtk (10.0.6-2 -> 10.1.3-3)
[2021-07-13T23:53:37+0800] [ALPM] installed libpamac-snap-plugin (11.0.1-2)
[2021-07-14T15:26:34+0800] [ALPM] upgraded libpamac (11.0.1-2 -> 11.0.1-3)

I can confirm my system is fully updated at the moment of posting via command line:

~$ sudo pacman -Syyu
[sudo] password for antonioprates: 
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                 168.6 KiB  86.9 KiB/s 00:02 [####################################] 100%
 extra                               1923.3 KiB   431 KiB/s 00:04 [####################################] 100%
 community                              6.6 MiB  91.8 KiB/s 01:14 [####################################] 100%
 multilib                             177.4 KiB  30.0 KiB/s 00:06 [####################################] 100%
:: Starting full system upgrade...
 there is nothing to do

I am running manjaro stable. And all other details about my computer are on my profile, if ever they could have any relevance for this particular issue.

Hello there

Do you have the “Check for updates from AUR” option toggled on in Pamac settings?

Hello @antonioprates :wink:

So as I understand, pamac displays possible updates, but pacman does not?

The cause of this is that pamac and pacman don’t share the same temporary database.

sudo pacman -Syyu is the same as pamac update --force-refresh

However… I guess the name AUR is here wrong. For example brave is the same name on “Updates” and on “Search”. AUR Packages are called brave-bin, brave-dev-bin and so on. So offically it is not AUR, even if it is marked somehow as AUR.

Maybe try to force-refresh the pamac database.

Hey @Evernow , yes, I do have the “Check for updates from AUR” option toggled on in Pamac settings, but these packages have not even been installed via AUR, so that is the part that does not really make sense to me…

@megavolt , I didn’t know pamac had it’s own database, for sure, that must have been the issue: pamac database got into some weird state! I clicked on the tree dots, then I clicked “Refresh databases”, and that was the trick. Great thanks.

I think brave browser is removed from Manjaro repository, but i don’t know why

@Bruno_Goncalves , you might be right, there seems to be something wrong about brave pkg. All other packages I had issue with on pamac have been fixed by “Refresh databases”, but today pamac started nagging me to update brave again (and just brave this time), and seems to be wanting to use AUR again (although it has been installed from official repos on my system). I have not updated so far and will wait and see if I can find more information about that specific one, maybe I will try to reinstall it later today.

See this topic: Has the Brave browser been removed from Manjaro repositories?

1 Like

oh crap…

Packages pulseaudio-ctl and python-pulsectl are in both Community repository and AUR with the same package names
But AUR packages have later version numbers

@nikgnomic have you tried “Refresh databases”? that fixed the inconsistency for me regarding these packages, and many others… except for brave, as the problem is a different one.

I do not use the 2 packages mentioned so it is no problem for me

I do not see any problem of inconsistency
pamac search for pulseaudio-ctl and python-pulsectl shows the packages are present in community repository and AUR
but Manjaro packages have not yet been updated to the version available in AUR
so pamac is suggesting updating to the AUR packages to get the latest package versions

@nikgnomic , according to this documentation, this should not be possible: Manjaro Packaging Standards - Manjaro - on my system it does not show up:

~$ pamac search pulseaudio-ctl
pulseaudio-ctl                             [Installed] 1.67-1  community 
Control pulseaudio volume from the shell or mapped to keyboard shortcuts.

Maybe it could indicate a problem with your database, same I had before I force refreshed the pamac database.

So, in the end I uninstalled the official brave package and ended up with AUR brave-bin, which works perfectly fine. Thanks for pointing me to the reason regarding brave.

1 Like

The packages can be verified to exist in Manjaro Community Repository
Packages / Community / pulseaudio-ctl · GitLab
Packages / Community / python-pulsectl · GitLab

and also in AUR
AUR (en) - pulseaudio-ctl
AUR (en) - python-pulsectl

when packages in Community are updated to the same version as in AUR pamac will stop suggesting updates from AUR

I just updated pulseaudio-ctl, apparently we missed that one.

python-pulsectl is the same version in both the Manjaro repos and AUR. The AUR version appears newer because it’s using an epoch. That was not necessary for the Manjaro repo version.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.