[Pamac] Introducing our own AUR support

pamac

Hi Community,

with v4.3.0 we will introduce Pamac’s ability to build packages. Therefore we changed the way we interact with the AUR. So no extra helper like yaourt is needed anymore. Pamac will fully handle building packages now for it’s own.

Guillaume took couple of weeks to accomplish that. Also he managed to get rid of most fo the bugs posted on our github issues list.

Feel free to test this new release within our unstable branch and give us some feedback, before we can call it stable:

sudo pacman -Sy pamac-dev

Also help us to translate this new version of Pamac. More info about this release also on our mailinglist.

Leave AUR with no pamac support is killing Manjaro for standard users
Mise à jour potentiellement dangereux
[Testing Update] 2017-02-21 - Deepin, Pamac, Haskell, Python
[Stable Update] 2017-02-24 - Kernels, Mesa, Deepin, Manjaro-Tools, Thunderbird-GTK3, Haskell
[wiki] Manjaro - Updates and AUR
Getting ready to install Manjaro
After having built packages from AUR can I remove their folders in $HOME?
[Testing Update] 2017-02-21 - Linux 4.10, Deepin, Breath theme, Catalyst-Server

That’s a huge step for Manjaro, @philm. :smiley: How will installation of AUR pkgs be handled from a terminal?

Regards

For installing it within a terminal you have to rely on cli applications like packer or yaourt. Simply our graphical package manager pamac gained the function to handle AUR on its own. Test it and tell me what you think of it. In the details view you should now be able to edit and as you may do in a real terminal window.

Roger, wilco. Gaining edit function is a real plus.

Some AUR packages take so time to build (r-bundle for jasp, pspp, gstreamer etc.) I really wonder how its gone be :slight_smile: Thanks

Are we able to set the default tmp directory? I’ve had problems in the past where /tmp has run out of room.

@Orajnam, isn’t that a pacman.conf edit?

Possibly. I haven’t had the problem in a long time, but iirc, it was hard-coded in Octopi.

Maybe it was yaourtrc…just a sec…

Yep, it’s in /etc/yaourtrc. Change the #TMP line to read something like…

TMPDIR="/home/c00ter/tmp"

So that will work if you have yaourt installed. With Packer/Pacaur it would be something similar.

Please post your findings and requests to our github project.

Found it - 09 July 2014:
https://classicforum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=15014.msg

This sounds great.
Is this new capability a fork of existing code, or made from scratch? Will the user be able to review pkgbuilds?

Can we expect that Octopi will follow suit??:slight_smile:

Best regards.

How does this benefit us normal everyday users? ELI5?

You can speed up many things by using ccache. Sadly there is no ccache support in manjaro tools like buildpkg :joy:

It makes things simpler.
Currently when pamac builds AUR packages you have the work going on in a terminal window embedded in a tab withing pamac.

This invariably asks you a series of Y/N questions and then asks for your password (which you already provided to start the pamac update).

The Y/N questions starts out with one you wold normally answer N to (Do you want to edit the package build), and all the rest are usually Y.

Joe Enduser really will never edit the package build. (Joe Hacker might).

All of that can go away for normal everyday users. This makes AUR packages easier to handle for normal users.

(Most normal users don’t need AUR anyway. So its not a huge deal, but often there are just a few packages that you want which are not in Manjaro Repositories. However, there occasionally happens accidents where packages are deleted from Manjaro, for various reasons, which can be automatically fetched from AUR [a mixed blessing], and this will make that easier instead of removing software the user might want.

Explain how that would help?
The page you quoted says it might take LONGER the first time, and each subsequent compile might take less time.

The thing is, most of us don’t compile the same program “over an over again” as the page specifically states as the principal use case.

We do one-off compiles and than we are done. Till the next release shows up, which will invariably be flagged as newer, and therefore the ccache will be useless.

Just try it. I dont know anything about the tech-background in there, in only see that it works

Same question here.

I do not think Manjaro developers have anything to do with Octopi do they? On the other hand Pamac is an original Manjaro tool as far as I know.