Pamac-gtk GUI turns black and destroys my windows

I’m guessing this affects only me else the forum would be full of people shouting about it …

The behaviour is odd, in that it becomes increasingly worse. I might have a better chance of guessing what is wrong if it always went wrong immediately. But no. First time I use the GUI after a fresh login - absolutely fine. No problem. Second time may also work, but by the third time, first, the popup for confirmation of the downloads/optional deps comes up solid black, except for the Accept button. So press that, then my whole screen goes black. As I mouse over, bits of the screen come back. At least I can get enough of the panel showing so I can right-click the pamac icon and close it. Then hide screen, restore from hide - everything OK again.

If I’m foolhardy enough to try the GUI again, after that, it just comes up solid black. When I hover over that, the whole screen goes black. And stays black. Ctrl-Alt-F2 reboot.

I’ve uninstalled it now and installed pamac-gtk3 instead, which not only works, it also mostly respects my theme, whereas pamac-gtk is hard-coded to Adwaita light, because in a truly Gnome-like way it obviously knows better than I know myself what theme I like. I’m pretty convinced this is part of the problem, although I have tried setting my whole theme to Adwaita light, after closing the shutters to avoid complaints of light pollution by the neighbours and wearing dark glasses to lessen the unbearable white glare. But that doesn’t change the behaviour, it breaks even when I use only Adwaita.

This message in .xsession-errors may hold a clue:
(pamac-manager:4375): Adwaita-WARNING **: 23:52:21.823: Using GtkSettings:gtk-application-prefer-dark-theme with libadwaita is unsupported. Please use AdwStyleManager:color-scheme instead.

So, nobody is allowed to use a dark theme? What?

Can anyone tell me exactly how I would go about “use AdwStyleManager:color-scheme instead”?

Any ideas at all, what might be the underlying cause of the general weird behaviour?

On the bright side, I am now something of a wizard with pamac CLI :slight_smile:

Use the GTK3 version of Pamac pamac-gtk3, the new pamac-gtk is created using LibAdwaita library which is dedicated to develop only GNOME apps, so don’t hope it will run well or follow your desktop customizations.

2 Likes

The thing is I did not choose to install the GTK4, as far as I recall it just came with regular updates. Although I do have a reservation that it might just be me. But this from pamac search:

pamac-gtk  11.7.1-1                                                                                                                                                                extra
    A Package Manager based on libalpm with AUR and Appstream support (GTK4)

and this 

gtk4  1:4.12.4-1 [Installed]                                                                                                                                                       extra
    GObject-based multi-platform GUI toolkit

does not scream out that there’s absolutely no chance of it working on my system. I mean, it’s not obvious to me why using a GTK4 app on a system with GTK4 installed should of itself be a problem…

Maybe if it was called pamac-gnome we’d have a better chance of guessing what might be wrong :slight_smile:

Edit: sorry I forgot to thank medmedin and mark solved … thanks! and done now.

LibAdwaita library is not a GTK4 standard and will never be merged as part of pure GTK4, it’s a collection of widgets created by GNOME devs on top of pure GTK4 ones to suite the look and ideology of their GNOME desktop.
https://news.itsfoss.com/gnome-libadwaita-library/

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.