Pamac CLI

pamac

thanks, always see popup window or sudo prompt, first see polkit in text.

so polkit, pkexec are polished in GUI but feel raw and plain in textual mode.
include what I said above, a bit unpleasant against that ‘this incident has been reported’ line, even you just type a wrong key, feel like be monitored by a machine…

For script fans, I’m working on python bindings for Pamac, there are almost ready. :grin:

[Utility] Beginner Friendly Software Utility

I might use this what do I need to import?

I will tell you when python bindings are ready

@guinux any ETA on a Qt version of Pamac. Also, I know the Pamac naming thread was closed, but I had a humorous idea for a rename last night.

GoldDigger

AUR being the elemental symbol for gold kind of triggered the thought. Also digging for good programs to install. Sorry for being OT.

dig build skookum_app

Dig it. :smile:

Please ping me too :slight_smile:

that would bring a clash with bind-tools :slight_smile: - good it is just for fun.

Some time this year if we are lucky. I’ll be doing the qt frontend as a learning project. I haven’t used qt before, my new job starts tomorrow and my third child will born soonish, so it might take a while.

Wow a third on the way, congrats. It’s amazing you have the time for anything. :+1:

Congratulations, Indeed I have not kids already find it hard to manage time.

That is life. Some manage others are open to find a way. In the end only do what is best for you.

@codesardine @fhdk: tell me what you would want to do with pamac so I can add the right functions for you in the python bindings.

I can think of this use

1. Install application or list of
  2. Remove application or list of

Maybe as a third option

1. Build and install application from AUR

I don’t know if it is even possible without a specific polkit file but maybe outsource a generic authorization request to Pamac?

You mean to have once the input needed by the user and then it uses that authorization for as long as the user session is active?

I would add query if application is installed.
Python bindings is always good to have thanks for that, I was wondering what the advantages are from just spawning a shell in python and interact with pacman itself?

We want to interact with libalpm directly. pacman is just the cli application by Arch. Pamac on the other hand will have debian-like syntax and should be easier to understand from a simple user point of view. Normally it doesn’t matter if you use bash or anything else like python directly. However, it is always nice to code only in one language and have the option to do it.

Something like that.

One use is to make a configuration change in /etc

That could be useful.

I used pacman to query if an app was installed but then I read about glob. Using that against the pacman local folder returns the answer faster than a pacman query :slight_smile:

Never used glob, will have a read about it today :+1:

pamac list ( -iom)
return always pkg_name [Installed] … why not remove “[Installed]” ? its a command only for installed packages and it’s more harder to read with

not sure that glob is the best … (its old, remake the test with pyton 3 ?)

I’ll check that.

@codesardine @fhdk: python bindings will give you access to all functions use by pamac to read and modify the database with auto polkit authentication.