Pamac CLI

pamac

Sure, so lets continue and take another look at it in 2019 :stuck_out_tongue:

I was happy to discover this CLI tool today. I use Manjaro primarily for Music Production and while I’m a comfortable long term user of Linux and Arch based distros, I don’t know it on a deep/systematic level. I preferred to use pacman to update my system over the pamac GUI and it bugged me that to update AUR packages, I had to open the GUI tool. This pamac CLI tool lets me do everything I want easily on the command line with less hassle. Cheers!

pacman doesnt have aur support … for that you need an aur helper like yay. No GUI necessary.
EX:
yay -Syyu

It doesn’t sound like he meant pacman doing Aur operations…

Actually you can just use “yay” as it defaults to -Syyu and also “pamac” has AUR support it uses the “build” keyword.

-Syyu is an unnecessaary redundancy unless the package base or mirrors have changed. In all cases other than those, the correct -Syu should be used.

Why cannot an “intelligent” AUR helper be smart enough to know when -Syyu is not necessary?

regards

Better question, why do all AUR helpers wrap pacman?

I guess it’s just easier to wrap pacman than to write a complete front-end that uses libalpm (an example for the latter case being Pamac).

I heavily prefer that to something else.
I mean, maybe using makepkg itself is fine - but I specifically steer away from the ones that dont wrap base tools and instead come up with their own …specialness.

pamac use libalpm (not pacman) only for repo manjaro but ; also makepkg for build aur packages and after, install aur package with libalpm

But as makepkg use pacman (For dependencies)

Then if pamac really use makepkg…
Even if pamac take care of dependencies before calling makepkg (and I guess makepkg will still check the dependencies with pacman anyway) I think the talk about to replace pacman with pamac is not really possible without modifying makepkg or to don’t use it in pamac. As pacman “can’t really be” put as optional dependencies of makepkg.
:thinking: Not sure I’m clear…

And when checking for updates, why not use the command checkupdates which does not leave the system exposed as an -Sy does?

regards

Hi all,
with v7.2.0, Pamac has the ability to edit build files.

But it’s not the only one improvement, pamac cli is now a complete AUR helper and an advanced build tool:

• Tracking build files:
    It now keeps all build files in the configured pamac build dir that is now
    /var/tmp/pamac-build-<username> by default.
    This way it can track when a new version is available from AUR or if changes were made by yourself and propose you to view the diff.

• Build tool:
    Pamac now has a clone action and build has a --no-clone option. They permit to ease building a package when you want to do important manual modifications.
    How to use it ?
    If a standard pamac build foo does all automatically you can do it step by step:
    Clone the build files with all dependencies : pamac clone --recurse foo
    Edit them as you want, then : pamac build --no-clone foo
    Or go the foo directory and run: pamac build --no-clone

• Development tool:
    You can even create your own PKGBUILD files and build them with:
    pamac build --no-clone --builddir /my/build/dir <pkgname>
    or in the PKGBUILD directory:
    pamac build --no-clone
    If there are dependencies to build, all files must be in the same directory with one subdir per package.
    All dependencies will be checked and the correct build order will be found.

You are on fire with pamac developement! Hats off to you sir.

Is there a -Syyuw equivalent for pamac cli?
(say slow internet and you want to DL everything first and do system update afterward)

There is no --download-only option ATM but I can easily add it.

I made a video about v7.3 version. Every feedback to improve our package manager will help!

Actually, that would depends of the changes you already made :wink:

Speaking from pacman viewpoint, sometimes happens that install procedure does not end because of some problem during system update. So you have downloaded say 90% of packages, then you need to start all over again. And sometimes download is large. For this reason I always use -Syyuw so it everything first gets downloaded and if later something during update need to be repeated, you only need to repeat update part not the whole download part. If you have slow inet connection, this also helps quite a lot :wink:

But I don’t know if pamac-cli handles install different and this is not needed any more?

Another reason is, sometimes on rare occasions when GUI/StartX gets updated and update can crash GUI/StartX during system update, when there is chance for this, I first download system updates in my regular desktop environment with -Syyuw and then i log out of GUI and run system update in TTY session.

For these two reasons, ‘download only’ option seemed very useful until now. I will let you decide based on the two scenarios I described, if it is still needed in pamac-cli.

Btw, I just watched Phil’s video, new version looks very nice, you are doing really wonderful work!

That’s false for pacman AND pamac, all already download files are kept if the update procedure failed. Next time you only have to download the missing packages.

That’s interesting. Maybe was different in the past? I remember few times being quite frustrated since I had to keep restarting the whole process and the download was huge. It may be a year ago, or little more, heck with my bad memory… So, once I learned about -Syyuw I always used it since then and of course I didn’t have that problem any more.

Well, since this is not the case any more, which I didn’t know, thanks for the info, I can stop using it and ignore my original request/question, case closed. :slight_smile: