Pamac 9.2 cannot run upgrade of AUR packages

After upgrade of the system during which pamac has been upgraded to 9.2.0-1 I cannot run the upgrade of the AUR packages anymore. The whole process stops at Preparing phase after I hit the Apply button for the list of transactions (packages) to be upgrade. I have found an error in the journalctl:

pamac-manager[3285]: transaction_interface_daemon.vala:290: answer_ask_edit_build_files: Timeout was reached

So even when I hit the Apply button, the window stays stuck for some time, maybe 10-15 seconds, then disappears and then everything stays frozen, until I kill it. So it seems that in the sub-dialog to accept the list of packages to be upgraded, when I just hit Apply, the program doesn't do what it is supposed to. Any idea?

See if the following bug applies... :arrow_down:

1 Like

It's typically a crash of pamac-daemon.
If you want to help debugging please install gdb then run in a terminal:

sudo gdb pamac-daemon
run

Then launch Pamac as usual and try to upgrade the AUR package.
If pamac-daemon crashes please give the output of the terminal and execute in the same terminal:

backtrace

Thanks.

And also give the output.

1 Like

Hi,

I see that you have pushed out an update to the pamac today. I have done the following:

  • I checked my BuildDirectory, it was /tmp plus I had an old version of pamac.conf
  • I saw that there was a new version of pamac.conf.pacnew in /etc
  • I removed my version of pamac.conf and replaced it with the pacnew version (it has the /var/tmp BuildDirectory)
  • finally I updated the pamac version from 9.2.0-1 to 9.2.0-1-1
  • I configured pamac according to my preferences (as it was before)

Now all works fine. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Fine :ok_hand:

No, not me. I'm not on the team. :stuck_out_tongue:

I also can't upgrade AUR packages since last update, but the chosen solutionhere didn't work for me.

So I followed your instructions and ran those commands.
What happens, is that I launched the software update window, then I accepted to build, but it gets stucks indifenitely to "Checking inter-conflicts..."

Here's what the gdb daemon spits out:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/pamac-daemon 
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
Using host libthread_db library "/usr/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
[New Thread 0x7ffff4679700 (LWP 2578)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff3e78700 (LWP 2579)]
[New Thread 0x7ffff3677700 (LWP 2580)]
[Thread 0x7ffff3e78700 (LWP 2579) exited]
[New Thread 0x7ffff3e78700 (LWP 2655)]
[Detaching after fork from child process 2718]
[New Thread 0x7ffff2de9700 (LWP 2719)]
[Thread 0x7ffff2de9700 (LWP 2719) exited]
[New Thread 0x7ffff2de9700 (LWP 2720)]
[Detaching after fork from child process 2721]
[New Thread 0x7fffe3fff700 (LWP 2741)]
[New Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2742)]
[Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2742) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2743)]
[Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2743) exited]
[New Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2744)]
[Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2744) exited]
[Detaching after fork from child process 2745]
[New Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2752)]
[Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2752) exited]
[Detaching after fork from child process 2753]
[New Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2764)]
[Detaching after fork from child process 2765]
[Detaching after fork from child process 2766]
[Detaching after fork from child process 2767]
[Detaching after fork from child process 2768]
[Thread 0x7fffe37fe700 (LWP 2764) exited]
[Thread 0x7fffe3fff700 (LWP 2741) exited]

And then it stays there stuck.

So I killed Pamac GUI then proceeded to interrupt in the terminal with CTRL+C and ran backtrace:

^C
Thread 1 "pamac-daemon" received signal SIGINT, Interrupt.
0x00007ffff7a92e9d in syscall () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x00007ffff7a92e9d in syscall () at /usr/lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x00007ffff7e23531 in g_cond_wait () at /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2  0x00007ffff7e45c1c in g_thread_pool_free () at /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3  0x000055555557deb5 in pamac_daemon_quit ()
#4  0x000055555557e1fb in  ()
#5  0x00007ffff7c93edf in  () at /usr/lib/libgio-2.0.so.0
#6  0x00007ffff7e7126f in g_main_context_dispatch () at /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#7  0x00007ffff7e731b1 in  () at /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#8  0x00007ffff7e740c3 in g_main_loop_run () at /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#9  0x0000555555561029 in main ()

What can I do more to get my updates working again?

PS, for completeness, here's my /etc/pamac.conf:

### Pamac configuration file

## When removing a package, also remove those dependencies
## that are not required by other packages (recurse option):
RemoveUnrequiredDeps

## How often to check for updates, value in hours (0 to disable):
RefreshPeriod = 6

## When there are no updates available, hide the tray icon:
NoUpdateHideIcon

## When applying updates, enable packages downgrade:
#EnableDowngrade

## Allow Pamac to search and install packages from AUR:
EnableAUR

## When AUR support is enabled check for updates from AUR:
CheckAURUpdates

## When check updates from AUR support is enabled check for vcs updates:
#CheckAURVCSUpdates

## AUR build directory:
BuildDirectory = /var/tmp

## Number of versions of each package to keep in the cache:
KeepNumPackages = 2

## Remove only the versions of uninstalled packages when clean cache:
#OnlyRmUninstalled

## Download updates in background
DownloadUpdates

## Maximum Parallel Downloads
MaxParallelDownloads = 4

EnableSnap

#KeepBuiltPkgs
#SimpleInstall

I did modify my pacman and pamac conf files regarding the new versions, did restart the pamac-daemon systemd unit and then everything worked again.
Thanks for the tip.

Forum kindly sponsored by