PAM not working, flagging pam-unix.so as non-existant while it exists in the same path

Alright so I’m here again with a weird-ass bug. Suddenly my PAMUSB authentication stopped working for me. It does work for the root user, though. My password still works, which i’ll explain why later on. I ran journalctl --follow and issued a login request with PAMUSB. Here is the output:

Oct 20 18:45:12 hp-pavilion sudo[44263]: PAM unable to dlopen(/usr/lib/security/pam-unix.so): /usr/lib/security/pam-unix.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Oct 20 18:45:12 hp-pavilion sudo[44263]: PAM adding faulty module: /usr/lib/security/pam-unix.so
Oct 20 18:45:12 hp-pavilion pam_usb[44263]: Authentication request for user "pranay" (sudo)
Oct 20 18:45:12 hp-pavilion pam_usb[44263]: Access denied.

now this is weird, so i checked the /usr/lib/security/pam-unix.so and it exists. Here:

ls -l /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 51064 May 25 12:44 /usr/lib/security/pam_unix.so

This is really weird and any help will be much appreciated.

Note: i had installed samba and nautilus-share just before this. Removing those packages allowed me to use my password again, which i then changed, but PAMUSB doesnt work. I also tried reconfiguring my PAMUSB, but it doesnt work. For the root user, password as well as PAMUSB works.

ok so i realised my typo and updated my /etc/pam.d/sudo file. it still doesnt work and journalctl --follow just shows access denied. Here:

Oct 20 19:08:23 hp-pavilion pam_usb[46184]: Authentication request for user "pranay" (sudo)
Oct 20 19:08:23 hp-pavilion pam_usb[46184]: Access denied.

Have you tried logging out and logging back in? Or even rebooting?

Are these recent changes possibly related?

1 Like

yes sir, i have. multiple times

doesnt seem like it. tehre are no mentions about PAM or passwd or anything

No, how silly of me, none at all;
– except for the part that does mention it, ofcourse…

Changes to default password hashing algorithm and umask settings

You would actually need to open the disclosure element by clicking the arrow to the left of the title, to see the details.

i did read the whole changelog, but somehow missed this. my bad, buddy. chill out tho

thanks for linking this one. this solves it. marking as closed now

Oops, did I forget an emoji? :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.