PacUI: Bash script providing advanced Pacman and Yay/Pikaur/Aurman/Pakku/Trizen/Pacaur functionality in a simple UI

cli
pacui
aur
pacman
yay

Can you delete that file (/tmp/aur/packages.gz) then try again?

Also, may I know how do you produce issue?

I didn’t look deeply into it, just wanted to post that it is documented.
I think it happens when I run pacui -> option 1 first time after boot.
It seems it doesn’t happen after some time has passed after boot.

I’m having this issue too. I mostly use

pacui i 

And that’s where I get it.

It seems there was changes regarding packages.gz from aurweb …

@eugen-b @Chrysostomus Can you try run this command to see if it outputs list of AUR packages?

wget -P /tmp/aur/ https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.gz &>/dev/null && cat /tmp/aur/packages.gz

It does. It outputs a long list, too long for my terminal’s line limit.

Great! Looks like this is another pull request opportunity for me!

Pacli not working with AUR due to /tmp/aur/packages.gz giving gzip error

So it is just called .gz but is just a text file?

yup…

Updated pacli now git. Sent pull request to pacui repo. Just drop gunzip command and replace parts saying /tmp/aur/packages with /tmp/aur/packages.gz

No time to release 1.8 ? :upside_down_face:

i have pushed all my latest changes to the master branch on github and included the fixes from @Chrysostomus and @thefallenrat. you can test it by (re-)installing “pacui-git” from the AUR. i will do the release of version 1.8 tomorrow, if nobody finds any bugs.

i started a new job and moved. i planned to be offline for a couple of days, but my new internet provider screwed up and i was offline for almost 3 weeks. sorry for that.
i already have a solution to prevent something like that in the future.

version 1.8 has been released. here are the release notes:

• the “pacui” package in the AUR has been updated already.
  • the “pacui-git” package in the AUR does not need updating, because it always installs the latest version of pacui. the user has to update/reinstall it on his/her own.
  • the “pacui” package in the unstable branch will be updated as soon as my pull request is granted. after that, it will become available in the testing and stable branch with the next major updates.

Speaking about AUR …

Did you remember when you have changed the pkg source in your pacui's PKGBUILD? (not pacui-git)

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/?h=pacui&id=7a1749b204ac0c5261c0bb84889ba3bb968b1cde

Because of this pacui file is now located elsewhere and you should update package () function

package () {
	cd "$srcdir"
        install -Dm755 "$srcdir/$pkgname/pacui" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/pacui"
}

To :

package () {
        cd "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver"
        install -Dm755 "pacui" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/pacui"
}

else makepkg will always yield an error :

==> Starting package()...
install: cannot stat '/tmp/makepkg/pacui/src/pacui/pacui': No such file or directory
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in package().
    Aborting...

thanks. i have just updated the PKGBUILD after testing it with “makepkg -s”.

i have actually never tested “pacui” in the AUR. so, i created the PKGBUILD “blind”. that might be the reason it did not work for a long time.

i just did some further tests with the “package()” function. the following should always work:

package () {
        install -Dm755 "$srcdir/$pkgname-$pkgver/pacui" "$pkgdir/usr/bin/pacui"
}

it is even simpler.

according to suggestions in another topic, i added some functionality to the “remove packages + deps” option in pacui with the latest commit:

this is meant as a convenience feature for the removal of many packages at the same time.

up to now, when one of your selected packages for removal is a dependency, pacman cannot remove any packages and gives you an error message. this is really frustrating, because you now have to start all over again (if you even remember all the packages you want to remove).

this latest commit tries to resolve this issue by showing you the error messages printed by pacman and then continuing to show all packages you wanted to remove in fzf. simple hold down your TAB key and all packages will be marked for removal again. this time, try to exclude the dependency.

you can test these latest changes by installing “pacui-git” from the AUR.
how do you like the error messages?

p.s.: i decided to NOT include an option to remove all packages anyway using “force remove” option = “sudo pacman -Rndd”, because it is really hard to predict what can break by doing that.
if the user wants to use a radical method to remove packages, the “force remove packages” option should be used.

I think your function naming system is strange, makes the code so hard to read.

It needs better commenting and/or better function naming. If item 1 on menu, then the function name should be func_1 or at least a comment referring to the menu item should be made.

I have to constantly flick to the top and count the functions down to find the correct one.

:edit: scratch that func_1 is a crap name, needs to be more descriptive than that :smiley:

I’m still happy with yaourt, but whatever, carry on all.
:slight_smile:

the functions are named the way they are, because i use parts of their names for the short command to start them. all short commands are highlighted in bold letters in the UI and are listed with “pacui h”.

i agree that there are no comments of the functions in pacui.
i should change that.

Took me a while (using old version installed yesterday) but function 4 does not tie up.

Menu item 4 is function 5??? Or should I go to bed :smiley: