PacUI: Bash script providing advanced Pacman and Yay/Pikaur/Aurman/Pakku/Trizen/Pacaur functionality in a simple UI

cli
pacui
pacman
yay
aur

For bug report purposes

sometimes, the latest package breaks or it breaks when combined with the latest versions of its dependencies. as i have explained in my previous post, i have experienced that myself with xorg and an incompatible graphics driver. stuff like that happens more often on the unstable branch, though.

you are right.
but if you are only downgrading one or two packages and keep a close eye on them (and update them as soon as a fix is available), a partially updated system is better than a non-working package (or even system).

the roll-back option is also aimed at people, who want to roll back all packages to their state before the last update they did. this is the easiest fix (for example, if your system does not boot to desktop anymore as described in my previous post). i also use it regularly for testing (e.g. install an older version of pacui and see, if stuff was broken in it, too) or reporting a bug (“something which is broken now, works in packages version X.xyz”).

Okay, clear.

I was only able to get a TTY for a few seconds or so and then it disappeared.
So, after fiddling around a bit I decided to put the image back.

I’ll better stay away from pacui. :wink:

i can understand your point of view.
i think exactly the opposite: i am kind of shocked in what state pamac must have left your system that a simple update breaks the whole thing to the point that that grub has problems booting.
pamac is simply a GUI for pacman/yaourt/pacaur like pacui (well, to be precise: nowadays, pamac uses alpm directly and can be considered a package manager in itself).
for a good reason, there are system maintenance instructions in the arch wiki, but i do not see pamac following these tips. for example, what is pamac doing with .pacnew/.pacsave files? as far as i see, pamac simply ignores these files. but in the long term, ignoring these files can break your system!

Of course you think the opposite, pacui is your baby…
But anyways, I do not need pamac per se, updating and removing orphans will do just fine in a terminal.

It’s is convenient if there is an update available, the icon becomes green.
And I need a packagemanager, well need…it is quite comfortable to search for a program if you’re not sure what it’s name exactly was.

Yeah, pacui and pacli and friends are dangerous. They let you run powerful commands with a single key press. But that’s a design decission. It has a 00 Help option. And a previously unstable (not updated) system should have been made stabile first before exprimenting.

No they don’t, they require 2 keypresses, which is one of the few problems I have with them.:stuck_out_tongue: But doing a single click menu with more than 10 options is complicated.

I had an updated system, I never skip an update, so you’re probably referring to someone else?

But you did skipped networkmanager update, no?

These 4: network-manager-applet networkmanager xfce4-netload-plugin xfce4-systemload-plugin

this would be rather trivial, but then i would need to get rid of all numbers and all marked letters (when there is more than 1 letter), i.e. i need to get rid of
help
log
conf
rt
ua
ls
fi
fr
info
fix
fu
la
and replace them with a single letter shortcut (which would not be intuitive anymore, IMHO). this has always been the reason not do that. i want to have numbers and letters for selection and i prefer to have intuitive (and multiple) letters to a non-intuitive single letter (e.g. press “k” to show reverse dependency tree).

but i could do multiple small menus like bmenu:

top menu:

• common package options
  • configure/fix system
  • AUR options
  • help
  • quit

common package options menu:

• update system
  • system maintenance
  • install packages
  • remove packages + dependencies
  • dependency tree
  • reverse dependency tree
  • list package files
  • search package files
  • return to main menu

configure/fix system menu:

• roll back system
  • fix pacman errors
  • edit configuration files
  • force options menu
  • return to main menu

force options menu:

• force update system
  • empty package cache
  • force install packages
  • force remove packages
  • return to configure/fix system menu

AUR options menu:

• force update AUR
  • list installed from AUR
  • return to main menu

do you think i should make a poll and ask the users what they want? do you a proposal for an alternative menu structure (please put at most 9 entries in every menu - i want to keep some room for future expansion).

this approach of doing multiple small menus also requires 2 key strokes (except for “quit” and “help”), but maybe it would feel faster?

I feel that multiple menus would be too complicated. Threre is a reason why pacui requires multiple keystrokes. The main menu of bmenu approaches the same issue by having numbers + some letters, but you quickly run out of intuitive letters. For example, install & info: who gets the i?

in the latest release, @thefallenrat has added roll-back support for AUR packages installed by pacaur. he also increased the security of the roll-back option quite a bit. thanks for that!
please test it and tell us, if you find bugs.

i removed the visible pacaur error in package information when looking at AUR packages. i have also renamed the “clean system” option to “maintain system”. i think this is more intuitive and this option does more than just cleaning your system nowadays. what do you think?

finally received 1.6.1 in the most recent stable update.
what new functionality does reflector bring? i was wondering if i should install it

Reflector is for arch only. It continously gets fastest mirrors with reflector. So it can improve download speeds on arch system.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector

The manjaro version uses pacman-mirrors to do the same.

i have just released version 1.7 of pacui. release notes are here:
https://github.com/excalibur1234/pacui/releases/tag/1.7

mostly, this is a release with many small fixes and improvements, but no major changes. it should be much more stable than version 1.6. i did all the testing i could during the last couple of weeks.
beside my improvments, @thefallenrat did some great improvements for the “roll-back” option.

there are now 2 packages in the AUR: “pacui”, which offers a stable version (as the “pacui” package in the manjaro repositories) and “pacui-git”, which always installs the latest version (now with proper versioning).

pacui-git from AUR is now compatible with pacman-mirrors 4.3 (available in the unstable branch):

this means that it currently does NOT work on systems using the stable branch.

pacui 1.7 will continue to work even on systems with pacman-mirrors 4.3 but you will see some warning messages about deprecated arguments in pacman-mirrors.

@thefallenrat has rewritten parts of the “maintain system” option in pacui. specifically, the part which checks for outdated kernels on your system. this part no longer depends on MHWD and is therefore compatible with arch linux. additionally, the new code should run faster on manjaro systems!

thanks a lot @thefallenrat. his work is now available in pacui-git from the AUR.

you can see the latest changes being discussed here:

@excalibur1234 i can update pacui?

I get this error since recntly

gzip: /tmp/aur/packages.gz: not in gzip format
grep: /tmp/aur/packages: No such file or directory

The file /tmp/aur/packages.gz is in place.
I’m using pacui with pacaur backend.