Pacman -Syyu

Can someone explain exactly what pacman -Syyu does and how it differs from pacman -Syu?

I noticed on
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Pacman_Tips

it recommends using pacman -Syyu to update packages. However when I log in pamac notifies me saying there are package updates but after running pacman -Syyu nothing is installed and pamac no longer shows any updates.

The manual shows

-yy to force a refresh even if up to date

and I was unable to find any information in the arch wiki about -yy

Best explanation I see was done yesterday by @linux-aarhus:

His explanation breaks the command in 2 parts

pacman -Syy to ensure you have list from primary mirror and then
pacman -Syu to download packages.

pacman -Syyu combines the 2 - first refreshes using primary mirror and then updates

5 Likes

As you have said, single y means Pacman checks if your update key signature matches with the manjaro repo. If matches it won’t download the repo file.

Double yy is generally not necessary but if you are sure an update is available and Pacman maynot getting it. It can help.

u simply means upgrade. The downloaded packages won’t be updated if the command doesn’t have any ‘u’.

Single y for everyday, double yy just in case.

Hope this clear things up.

2 Likes

from
man pacman (man XXX xxx-> the commad you need information about
is a great way to have info) ps to quit man press “q”

-y, --refresh
Download a fresh copy of the master package database from the server(s) defined in pacman.conf(5). This should typically be used each time you use --sysupgrade or -u.
Passing two --refresh or -y flags will force a refresh of all package databases, even if they appear to be up-to-date.

1 Like

One thing to mention here.
As of recent developments to pacman-mirrors, the 2 may be out of sync with with eachother.

Which, I agree, is probably not the preferable situation.

But you are correct. In terminal using ‘sudo pacman -Syyu’ should be a proper update.
[you can use ‘-Syu’ to save time and bandwidth if you know your mirror is synced, but ‘Syyu’ ensures it]
Please post output if this is somehow not the case.

2 Likes

FREE Pacman Rosetta–only $100! :smiley:

It’s darn near as good as ‘42’!

1 Like

@c00ter how many times didi you post this
i think i’ve already seen it 5 or 6 times

:wink:

1 Like

@cscs

As of recent developments to pacman-mirrors, the 2 may be out of sync with with eachother.

that makes more sense.

pamac was showing updates
pacman -Syp lists the same updates
but
pacman -Syyp = shows no updates, shows everything is up to date, and pamac no longer shows updates.
And after reboot pamac shows the updates again, I ultimately ran pacman -Syu to update.

So what is happening is pamac is using different mirrors that pacman and receiving updates first?

I keep it on speed dial.

Except some days I paste it to my forehead.

1 Like

@c00ter
while I appreciate the effort -Syy* is in fact not mentioned on that page

No? Sheesh, maybe I should read through it sometime…

But here is something you should know: Superior intellects keep changing the ‘proper’ ways to use Pacman commands. For example, installing a package used to be a straight forward;

pacman -S packagename

But then wiser beings decided it should really be;

pacman -Sy packagename

But now they are saying it must be;

pacman -Syu packagename

Anyway, @jefferson9, just a warning to _Be On The Lookout f_or future uses as the Powers That Be re-create whatever philosofickle thinking they think. :wink:

Regards to the Confused :smiley:

1 Like

Another possible explanation

If you have pamac set to use AUR and set pamac to notify you of updates from AUR then

pacman -Syyu

will possibly fail. That is because pacman only updates from the official repository.

AUR is an optional source of packages and pacman cannot and will not update from optional sources.

I have set pamac to not check for up dates. I did not care to have it eating my slow connection each time I boot. Thus if I understand, I can watch for announcements on the forum and when an update is available apply this work flow from the wiki:

$ sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip
$ sudo pacman -Syy
$ sudo pacman -Syu

… and for the AUR:
$ yaourt -Syu

I’m I ok with this?
Thanks…

$ sudo pacman-mirrors --geoip
$ yaourt -Syyua

Do not use yaourt for that.

Pacman is for system - yaourt is for AUR.

pacman -Syyu

Why not ?
yaourt -Syyua does everything just described. forces resync, updates system, updates aur.
Unless you are speaking to the possible dangers or inadequacies of yaourt …
In which case we could re-raise the topic of whether it is installed by default or whether pacaur should replace it (at install, or by common command suggestion). As was first related a year ago in this thread.
I dont necessarily disagree - I’m just saying it brings up what I still consider an open issue. As showcased not only by the confusion surrounding usage - but also by what appear to be inherit contradictions in instruction.
[by the by pacaur follows pacman syntax more closely and with it ‘Syyu’ includes aur by default ;-)]

i said yaourt 'cause he mentioned it, personalty i use pacaur, it does every thing and much more, like tosay, this package is not in AUR pass
that’s mean it doesn’t see package in repo neither in AUR so you know you can uninstll it

Well strange thing happened, pamac notified me of updates, and pacman -Syyu worked this time. Strange. I suppose I’ll just disable pamac and stick with pacman.

As I re-read man yaourt there is no -y switch. So to update AUR packages one should (if using yaourt) enter : yaourt -Su.
Correct?
Also from man yaourt:

DESCRIPTION
Yaourt is a pacman frontend with a lot of features.

AUR/ABS support, colorized output, interactive search/install, save/restore Alpm database, orphans detection, manage .pac* files, ...

@linux-aarhus I do not pick a fight, I am simply confused. Aren’t all these tools front ends for pacman ?

pacaur may be superior, I don’t use the AUR much at all but I still need to look at that… pamac cross references pacui, which is the Manjaro version I gather.

@cscs[quote=“cscs, post:16, topic:24160”]
As showcased not only by the confusion surrounding usage - but also by what appear to be inherit contradictions in instruction.
[/quote]

Contradiction and confusion yes.

A poll may be useful to determine which is best, not here. I am sorry if I have diverted the original intent. I would like to know if I have made some misstep in my use of tools please.

Thanks all

would update a single package, repo or aur. as noted above, you must pass the -a option to an update string with yaourt to also update aur. -Syyu will update repos. -Syyua will update repos and aur.

pacui is an entirely different tool which attempts to makes multiple things accessible at once … from mhwd to updates, etc … calling the needed software for you.

Yup. But may need to be outside of ‘general’ to be fruitful or efficient.