Pacman : nvidia-utils breaks dependency

My pacman is behaving weirdly. I recently tried running a classic pacman -Syu to keep my Manjaro up to date but it always outputs:

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies) 
:: installing nvidia-utils (1:430.26-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=1:430.14' required by linux50-nvidia

Which is a pain in the ass. I've been actively researching the archwiki and the forums to understand what's going on. It seems like I have an issue with my kernel that is not longer supported, the problem is I can't delete it since it's the only one I'm running and I can't install newer ones because sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux419 or any other LTS kernel outputs once again:

:: installing nvidia-utils (1:430.26-1) breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=1:430.14' required by linux50-nvidia

What should I do?

Remove "nvidia-utils" start the update and install "nvidia-utils" again.
And remove Kernel 5.0, Kernel 5.0 is EOL.

2 Likes

I tried that already but I cant remove nvidia-utils. sudo pacman -R nvidia-utils isn't working and says

checking dependencies...
:: lib32-nvidia-utils: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils'
:: linux50-nvidia: removing nvidia-utils breaks dependency 'nvidia-utils=1:430.14'

You should be able to remove it by making pacman ignoring dependencies. Then install a new kernel (I would suggest two, 5.1 and 4.19 as backup). Reboot into one of the two and then remove 5.0 that is EOL as already said. It's not the best case scenario and maybe you should do it in a tty and be ready to use a live if something doesn't go well but in general you could fix it like that. I will suggest anyway to have always a LTS kernel for backup reasons.

1 Like

Remove all kernel packages like this: sudo pacman -Rdd $(pacman -Qq | grep linux50)

3 Likes

Okay so I managed to uninstall the kernel with sudo pacman -Rdd $(pacman -Qq | grep linux50) and I was able to run a sudo pacman -Syyu with positive results. However I could not manage to install new kernels, a quick sudo mhwd-kernel -li outputs :

Currently running: 5.0.21-1-MANJARO (linux50)
The following kernels are installed in your system:

but sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux51 or linux419 just outputs:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core                                     149,0 KiB   127K/s 00:01 [####################################] 100%
 extra                                   1758,0 KiB   220K/s 00:08 [####################################] 100%
 community                                  5,3 MiB   363K/s 00:15 [####################################] 100%
 multilib                                 183,2 KiB   390K/s 00:00 [####################################] 100%
error: no targets specified (use -h for help)

Have you tried installing from the graphical tool (manjaro setting manager I think)?
Or directly using pacman and not mhwd (I know is not the suggested way but maybe could help in your case)

1 Like