Pacman not installing updates

Hey new user here and coming back to linux.

I “think” that I am having an issue with getting pacman to update properly.

pacman -Syyu

Databases appear to update but pacman closes with “nothing to do”.

Mirrorlist appears fine and I have reset them to defaults as per the wiki page for pacman-mirrors using

sudo pacman-mirrors --country all --api --protocols all --set-branch stable && sudo pacman -Syyu

I am brand new to Manjaro and rolling release so maybe I am misunderstanding here but surely there should be some updates on a rolling release since the last posted iso, correct?

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

No, I’m afraid you’re mistaken. :wink:

Manjaro is a curated rolling-release, which means that updates are always thoroughly tested first in the Unstable and Testing branches before they percolate down to the Stable branch. And when they then do, the updates are bundled together and pushed out as a single large update/upgrade ─ or at least, when we’re still talking of the Stable branch, because Testing receives updates more often, and Unstable receives updates at the same rate as Arch Stable ─ with the exception of urgent security updates, because those are always pushed out right away.

So if you’ve installed Manjaro from one of the latest .iso images, then you are already fully up-to-date with the current Stable branch, and then there is indeed nothing for your package manager to do.

That said however, hold on to your horses, because there is a major upgrade coming down the pike any day soon now, with an all-new version of either GNOME or KDE Plasma. It won’t be too long anymore ─ possibly even before the end of the week, if all goes well. :wink:

3 Likes

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I suspected that may be the case but it just felt wrong. Very cool.

1 Like