Overlway with the default key bindings toggle

How do you get rid of the overlay that displays the default key bindings?

You mean the conky at the lower left side of the desktop?

Yeah, is it conky? I couldn't figure it out, all I see in the i3 config is conky_maia and I looked through the config at /usr/share/conky/conky_maia and it looks like it's just for the top right with the system resources. How do I get rid of it?

If you want to remove only the conky in the lower left side of the screen, you can try this:

1. Create a folder in your home directory, for example ~/.config/conky/.

2. Copy the file /usr/share/conky/conky_maia to the new directory you created.

3. Open your i3 config file and comment the line that starts the start_conky_maia script:

#exec --no-startup-id start_conky_maia
  1. Add a new line in your i3 config that will start the conky you copied to ~/.config/conky/:
exec --no-startup-id conky -c ~/.config/conky/conky_maia

Logout/login to see the changes.

Another way is to edit the file /usr/bin/start_conky_maia (with nano for example) and comment the line that refers to the "shortcuts conky":

#conky -c /usr/share/conky/conky1.10_shortcuts_maia &&

Be aware that this file may get overwritten when the package conky-i3 gets upgraded to a newer version, hence the first approach might be a better option.

Much better thank you

1 Like

Now that I think of it, if you don't want to change the settings of conky in the right upper corner, but instead you want to keep the default "look" of it, the first two steps are not needed.

Just comment the line in your i3 config that starts the start_conky_maia script and use the command

exec --no-startup-id conky -c /usr/share/conky/conky_maia

to start conky_maia.