Overclocking an i9-10900KF CPU?

Hello,

First apologies if this is not correct place to post this, i was not sure where else to post it.
I have Manjaro Xfce installed on my main system, and I have recently purchased an i9-10900KF CPU. I have had thoughts about overclocking it, however I am quite clueless as to how to achieve this on manjaro (I have never overclocked a CPU on any unix system before). I have done a quick search to see what kind of software exists for this on unix/manjaro, but the easiest way seems to be the intel XTU software, which is windows only. My question is: what is the ā€œeasiestā€ way of achieving overclocking of this CPU model on manjaro? Are there any softwares that exists on unix which maybe be able to achieve this (I could not find from my quick search)? Are there any wrappers to the XTU software for manjaro ?

Thanks in advance

Do as everyone does, use your mother board to overclock. There might be some programs on Windows (or Linux), but this is not great to do a proper overclock (which involves many settings of many components).

I donā€™t recommend you overclock anyway, as if you come here to ask, you shouldnā€™t do it. First step is to learn, before you fry your component.

Wellā€¦ overclocking on linux is not very popular. In general Linux is trimmed to save power, not to heat up the cpu :smiley: There is no user friendly tools for overclocking, but there tools for undervolting to save power :slight_smile: The reason for that is the fact that linux is running mainly on servers and there you need as much as possible power saving and also on laptops or tiny devices.

Bare metal tools for manipulating cpus like with Intel XTU are wrmsr and rdmsr, but that far from being user friendly. It works even on CPUs which are locked down, but you really need to know what you are doingā€¦

Here are some links:

Howeverā€¦ overclocking the cpu on linux should be done at the BIOS, which has normally a user friendly GUIā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do understand that one could have a desire for overclocking a ā€˜slowā€™ cpu - but this one - I simply donā€™t get it :confused:

Total Cores 10
Total Threads 20
Max Turbo Frequency 5.30 GHz
IntelĀ® Thermal Velocity Boost Frequency 5.30 GHz
IntelĀ® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency 5.20 GHz
IntelĀ® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 Frequency 5.10 GHz
Processor Base Frequency 3.70 GHz

Reference system

āžœ  ~ inxi -Cm
Memory:
  RAM: total: 62.69 GiB used: 4.19 GiB (6.7%)
  RAM Report:
  permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
CPU:
  Info: 8-Core model: Intel Core i9-9900K bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache:
  L2: 16 MiB
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/5000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 4137
  3: 3417 4: 2271 5: 1235 6: 806 7: 800 8: 800 9: 800 10: 800 11: 800
  12: 800 13: 962 14: 800 15: 845 16: 4840

Thanks for the reply.

I have had thoughts about overclocking it,

Like I mentioned in OP, these are thoughts and not concrete plans. I have yet to see if my applications have a manjor benefit from an overclock, which may not be the case. But in future If i wanted to go ahead with it, just wanted to know what best way would be.
Thanks for the info :slight_smile:

I, along with one more individual had our CPU running a bit warmer than they were on windows. Had to use TLP to keep it undercontrol.

Iā€™d overclock via BIOS as you normally would. That way you arenā€™t depending on a piece of Software.

Unless you are doing it for the fun and highscores, itā€™s not a great time for overclocking right now. Gains are rather small compared to the insane powerdraw and heat you get these days, so before you start, make sure that your cooling solution is up to it.

Iā€™m starting to view Intelā€™s ā€œTurboā€ marketing as gimmicky lately, unless someone else can convince me otherwise. Itā€™s a way for them to shove a high number in your face to sell a product.

The moment the CPU (as a whole) exceeds a certain load / temperature, the Turbo clock speeds (in this case 5.30GHz) are no longer in play. Not to mention, itā€™s rated for a single core. So multithreaded applications which utilize multiple cores rarely (if ever) take advantage of Turbo Boost.

And yet if you force an application that normally defaults to multithreading (such as ffmpeg/libx264) to only use a single thread, in hopes of squeezing out the Turbo speeds, youā€™ll find that it underperforms with Turbo on a single thread, as opposed to standard speeds across multiple threads. :man_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.