[Optimus Manager] Switching to Nvidia leads to Blank Screen

I see, is there a clean way to uninstall 440 and install 450?

I don’t know how to do it in the terminal way,but in the gui you just right click the 440 driver and select remove,then right click on the 450 and select install,then you should reboot.

@XRaTiX That did the trick, I’ve upgraded to 450xx and I’m able to connect to my TV now, and xrandr -q outputs this:

>>> xrandr -q                                                                

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1920 x 1080, maximum 16384 x 16384
eDP-1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm
HDMI-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-1-2 connected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

However I still can’t switch to nvidia using optimus-manager, it still blacks out.

>>> inxi -G                                                                  
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel 
  Device-3: Chicony HP Wide Vision HD type: USB driver: uvcvideo 
  Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting 
  resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.1.7

Please help!

Intel is barely keeping up with the display, I see a lot of breaks in the display when I scroll.

You don’t need to switch to nvidia anymore to use the HDMI port,in the 450 driver you can now use hybrid mode the HDMI port,try using that one.

One note,i don’t know why still mark that you are using nouveau,thats weird.

Just tried hybrid mode and that blacks out as well. I’m using Nouveau in the swtiching method.

Yeah me too, anyways @XRaTiX thanks man I’m atleast happy that the HDMI works, have been at the HDMI thingy for a week now. But I’d really like to use the 4GB Nvidia card, somebody help!

Also, I’mn not able to open nvidia-settings which gives me even more reason to believe that something isn’t right with my drivers, should I start a new thread perhaps?

>>> nvidia-settings                                                          

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

Maybe thats why? you don’t have nouveau drivers so you should not use nouveau method,try using bbswitch method.

EDIT: Correction,you have nouveau drivers,but you are not using the nvidia propietary drivers.

There is a explanation in the optimus-manager wiki of what does each option,normally bbswitch works for most laptops,but try with bbswitch.

I just tried using bbswitch and rebooting caused my HDMI to stop working again :man_facepalming:

I’ve installed bbswitch, but there is still a warning that pops up when I try to switch “The bbswitch module does not seem to be available for the current kernel”, and it logs back with the intel card.

Did you install the linux58-bbswitch?,that the one you should use because you have kernel 5.8

I think I broke my DM, I uninstalled linux414-bbswitch and installed linux58-bbswitch now I’m not able to boot into a DM…

Unable to open a tty either, tried at keys Ctrl + Alt + F1 to F12 …

Okay, I somehow managed to open a tty session by appending a 3 after quiet in the GRUB_LINUX line. I reinstalled linux414-bbswitch and I’m able to boot into a DM now…

Phew.

I tried installing linux58-bbswitch again, this time I kept linux414, but it still boots into the company logo :frowning: what do I do?

I don’t use GNOME,but according to the guide you posted

install gdm-prime from AUR
On Manjaro Gnome you may have manjaro-gdm-tweak installed which requires gdm, so when you install gdm-prime, you get error because of the dependency with gdm.

You need gdm-prime from the aur,maybe you don’t have it installed?

I don’t know what is the cause of this :confused:

I did install gdm-prime, I think the problem is occuring because I installed the wrong bbswitch package. I installed linux414 bbswitch.

I just tried to uninstall it from the pacam gui, and it warns me saying that

Warning: optimus-manager optionally requires bbswitch: alternative power switching meth

But when I removed it either way and installed linux58, it just boots into the company logo when I reboot.

I should probably start another thread explaining all the stuff again, especially about installing linux414-bbswitch, and linux58-bbswitch.

Sigh

Thanks @XRaTiX and @bogdancovaciu for your valuable input. Love the fact that there’s someone willing to help a random stranger.

P.S: Fortunately I’m still able to use the HDMI again, but with intel only.

Yeah there is something weird abut that linux414,the only thing i know is that linux414-bbswitch is for the kernel 4.14,but you are using the kernel 5.8,it should’t prevent the boot up,maybe you can uninstall that kernel if you don’t use it but i don’t know what would happen,either a black screen again or what…

I only have the kernel 5.8 and 5.4,I use the kernel 5.8 and have 5.4 as a safe backup kernel in case 5.8 starts to fail somehow.

When you resolve the issue with the bbswitch,you should be able to use the nvidia card

Also,make a backup with timeshift and have a usb with manjaro on it, just to prevent disasters later you can always restore the backup :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I did make a timeshift backup, although it’s in the / partition itself, and I do have a bootable USB stick, so I’m prepared for the worst. It just beats me that I can’t use my dedicated graphics(that I spent extra money for), because I’m planning to shift to Manjaro entirely as a daily driver.

Do you think it’ll be a good idea to start a new thread asking why inxi -G, shows that my driver is

Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: nouveau 
  v: kernel 

instead of hybrid-450xx? Maybe there’s a problem with my driver itself…

I don’t know about that,don’t hurt a try i guess but now that you mention it…you install the video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime,how is your mhwd -li?

I have this
mhwd -li

Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime            2019.10.25               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

Do you have video-linux still installed? I think thats the nouveau driver and its preventing the nvidia driver to load properly? video-modesetting is the driver for intel so it should be there normal,try uninstalling the video-linux if you still have it.

Yes, this is mine:

~ >>> mhwd -li                                                                 
> Installed PCI configs:
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime            2019.10.25               false            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

This might help too

>>>  pacman -Qqs nvidia                                                      
lib32-libvdpau
lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils
libvdpau
libxnvctrl
linux414-nvidia-450xx
mhwd-nvidia-340xx
mhwd-nvidia-390xx