Optimus-manager NOT switching

I have tried following all the documentation and, frankly, what .. a .. mess...

I get logged out (which is expected) then I log back in only to find nothing has changed...

I have NEVER been able to use my nvidia graphics card on a Linux system. I'm actually at the point of going back to Windows - sure it's not private, but at least my computer works. The documentation assumes you have a decent knowledge of IT and Linux, which irritates me so much that the user-friendliness is barely there (Good luck for Windows users making the "switch" to linux - Pun intended). Nvidia is the most popular graphics card + Linux techies can't give an easy way to get it to work = poor market uptake.

I don't wanna be negative, but if the 'top linux nerds' are soooo clever then surely making an easy GUI way to get this done should be easy, or in fact making it AUTOMATIC would be the goal? yet nothing .. I'm really confused.

Anyways, I doubt anyone can help but if you think you can, please let me know. Losing hope over here

This are the known options for Optimus

If " Optimus-manager NOT switching" then switch to Optimus Switch :slight_smile: ... the last one in that list.

Wen developers would get their hands on all those Optimus laptops, have the time and resources, they would make it so. Bare in mind that Nvidia Drivers are NOT open source, and using nouveau drivers will make you even more frustrated.

Talking about paronomasia - do you think someone that wants to start boxing will have an easy way to "switch" from a non-combat life and be proclaimed champion by "automation" ? :grin:

Doubt is the enemy number 3 of knowledge and also of communication.

1 Like

In addition to what @bogdancovaciu said. Your post is entirely unhelpful in trying to fix your issue. Please read this post and add the BASIC information required. You have a better chance to get help.

1 Like

did you try the different switching method in optimus-manager, options, etc
for my laptop only the bbswitch method actualy work to switch to nvidia

you are not alone

it's not linux getting in the way of this, it's nvidia. that said i still prefer nvidia over amd.

sounds like a challenge to me :star_struck:

that's an accurate assessment. there are good guides but they are buried under the hundreds of garbage ones.

i was never able to get optimus-manager to work reliably, which is partially why i made optimus-switch which in hindsight i really should of named it better. i sometimes catch myself calling them by the wrong names. :man_shrugging:

what @bogdancovaciu linked should work fine but make sure you get rid of any trace of optimus-manager before you begin. and by that i mean, in order.

sudo systemctl disable optimus-manager.service --now
sudo optimus-manager --cleanup
sudo pacman -Rns optimus-manager
#get names of MHWD packages you have installed, and uninstall them
sudo mhwd -r pci video-linux
sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-418xx-bumblebee   #(edit as needed)

now you would follow the directions on the github readme. if you changed any manjaro packages for ones in the AUR to try and make optimus-manager actually work, reverse those changes first before you setup optimus-switch. no outside packages are needed for it to function properly.

if you post these outputs after you remove optimus-manager, i'll tell you if anything needs to change and probably save a few steps on the instructions.

inxi -Fxxxza --no-host
mhwd -li
ls -laR /etc/X11
1 Like

I was trying your manual on my LenovoP50 it was the closest but did not work as expected, sometimes it loaded after restart, sometimes does not I had to restart few time more.
Maybe because of quadro M1000M card

these often have bios controls which makes using something like optimus-switch less important but if not, feel free to try again and ask for help if something goes wrong.

if it works sometimes and not others, controlling when commands are run by adding a short delay before they get run could probably fix it. to keep this thread tidy though lets not combine separate issues in a single thread.

2 Likes

I was using Ubuntu and then Manjaro for more than 10 month with my Nvidia card disable in Bios. Was close to give up too. No way to use it until I try optimus-switch. Thanks a lot @dglt for your help. I mean it. Oh, forgot to mention I was mac user for 20 years, bought my first PC in April 2018, and I'm not native english speaker!

1 Like

This is simple GUI for optimus-manager. Have you tried it?

I want to thank to @dglt too he helped with Optimus switching on my Laptop P50.

But it has issues, currently it is easier to switch to NVIDIA only in BIOS then playing with configs, problems with wake up etc...

I understand the frustration, it is well warranted but directed in the wrong direction.
I've been running linux systems since ~2000 and I consider myself a seasoned Linux user, if not an expert and I'm unable to get optimus working on my System 76 Oryx Pro laptop (which is supposedly built for Linux, kind of a joke since they use Nvidia Optimus).

I have spent way more hours than I want to admit trying to get the graphics working satisfactory. I have been in contact with the manufacturer, at one point I was close to return the computer as I was sure it had a hardware problem. No, it was just an issue of incomplete drivers. I have tried it all and I have given up, simply put:

Optimus cannot be used satisfactory on Linux at this time

(At least not with the setup I have). The fault of this is with Nvidia who still refuse to provide working drivers with their cards (Linus agrees on Optimus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVpOyKCNZYw), and the manufacturer who decided to put a Nvidia card in a Linux laptop.

With working satisfactory I mean:

• Common distributions can be installed with working display output after reboot (most I have tried does not work, Manjaro and I think Mint KDE was the excption)
  • Switching works (bumblebee is very buggy, optimus-manager does not work, System76 power driver does not work etc.)
  • No major bugs (the few times I got it to switch I had major graphics problems, videos not running 3d graphics buggy)
  • Power saving works, ie the card gets shut down when not in use (after all the whole reason for having this technology in the first place)

i helped someone get this setup on a system76 laptop not too long ago, there's an aur package for it and from the users feedback it worked well but then again i dont think i asked that user if they confirmed the card getting powered down when using intel mode.

one day, if were lucky bumblebee will die it's overdue death. it's a dead project yet it's still widely used despite it's terrible performance (if your actually able to get to a desktop in the first place). optimus-manager i was never able to get working properly but many other people use it and like it but it too is problematic and tries to be too many things.

though the king of bad ideas has to be render offload, a cruel joke from nvidia. i thought bumblebee was restrictive but at least you could use external displays. i was gonna add it as a 3rd mode to optimus-switch until i used it and started finding all it's shortcomings. :man_facepalming:

it can, you just need to be practical about it. changing modes without rebooting? sure, but dont expect stability to come with it. power management too can be handled in a few ways, my preference is acpi_call and it's something once set has never let me down yet.

@JKAbrams , if you want to give it another shot, give optimus-switch a try. just get rid of any leftovers from the other failed attempts first. if you have a question just ask. :wink:

3 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by