Optimus-manager alternative

I am facing an issue with optimus manager where I am unable to switch to the nvidia mode. This used to work before and I am not sure what exactly broke it.
I posted it as an issue on the optimus-manager github page - https://github.com/Askannz/optimus-manager/issues/53

Till they are able to provide a fix, is there any way I could use the nvidia-mode(I am able to live with the worst case scenario where I am always using my GPU till the issue is fixed) while also having optimus-manager installed so I can troubleshoot when required?

you can try optimus-switch.

1 Like

if you do decide to go that way, just make sure to disable and run cleanup for optimus manager before uninstalling it. also get rid of anything bbswitch.

this is from the optimus-manager tutorial on uninstalling.

A continuation of Call for testing: optimus-switch -

• Yes, I removed optimus-manager in the way you mentioned.
  • No, I did not uninstall bbswitch.
  • I am unable to enter even tty and instead getting a flashing screen which turns on and off.

Removing bumblebee/bbswitch is a requirement. The optimus-switch method relies on having control. bumblebee/bbswitch interfere (if not disabled properly).

If you have problems, post your info

inxi -SMGxxxz
systemctl show display-manager | grep "^Id" | cut -d= -f2 | cut -d. -f1
grep -w ^nvidia /etc/modules-load.d/*.conf
grep -wE "^blacklist (nouveau|ttm|drm_kms_helper|drm)" /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf
lspci | grep -E "VGA|3D" | grep -i nvidia | cut -d " " -f 1
lsmod | grep acpi_call
grep -v ^# /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/*.conf

Edit: added one more report command

1 Like

/etc/X11/ (should have no gpu .conf files)
/etc/X11/mhwd.d/
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
(check contents of these 2 and make sure no related/needed modules are blacklisted, optimus-switch handles blacklisting gpu modules on its own)
/etc/modprobe.d/
/etc/modules-load.d/

if your not able to get to a tty at all, then chroot in from a live usb and check those directories, disable/uninstall anything related to bbswitch,optimus-manager. run the install script again.

also which DE/DM are you using? did you select the correct version of optimus-switch that matches? gdm, lightdm, sddm are the 3 versions currently available and each works slightly different.

also, the logs @AgentS asked for would be very helpful. this is likely just a conflict in configuration and i would need to know what de/dm in order to properly help you fix it.

The second command in my post is giving that.:wink:

ooooh… i like that. although doesnt work with zsh, i had to enter bash first. lists both names/contents

2 Likes

Are you sure they have to fix it?

Feb 22 19:51:11 reik-msi lightdm[6102]: Could not find provider with name modesetting

Seems like you’re missing some configuration element and if you want to help the optimus-manager developers you should find the cause of your issue and report it rather than submitting a bug report with not a lot of information then putting yourself in a position where you can’t help resolve the issue.

“Hi, I have a bug.”
OK, can you provide this information?
“No, I’ve already moved on to something else.”
CLOSED CAN’T-REPRODUCE.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark