Optimus laptop issues

After reaching black screen it’s hard freeze, no TTY for me :confused: Also removing blacklist nouveau made me unable to boot at all, no matter what options I put in grub. I ran both journal and log commands from login screen (before actually login) but I can’t find how to post that now. It’s past 3 AM here, I’m really tired. I’m going to call it a day now and resume tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance @dglt and @petsam, I really appreciate it!

certainly a weird one, touchpad doesnt work if gpu is disabled. cant say ive read about this one before. tommorow’s another day.

I am sorry to jump in here and possibly confuse the issue more. In my research while fighting a similar issue on my laptop, some people have had luck getting both the nVidia card and the touchpad working by changing the kernel argument from acpi_osi=“Windows 2009” to acpi_osi=“Windows 2015”. This changes the “target Windows environment” from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

that’s not a bad idea to try should he end up back on bumblebee. i dont even think the “windows 2009” was even working since the syntax was wrong.
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2015"
acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=“Windows 2015”

which i honestly dont understand but seems to actually be that important? do you see the difference between the first line and second line? most dont, i dont even know what to call it?
" is not “” but in plan text it is???:exploding_head: any time i need to use it i have to copy/paste the stupid thing :joy:

Too be honest, I don’t see the difference. I have also seen the “Windows” arguments used with out the quotes. So which one is the correct syntax then?

good question, let me know if you ever get a straight answer to that. ive seen it argued both ways. i also noticed it gets entered one way at grub boot (2015”)and the other if going in /etc/default/grub (2015"). i try searching both characters google/ddg and they both come up as quotation marks?

i asked the foremost authority on all of life’s biggest questions, my magic 8-ball and it says “reply hazy”

“what does it all mean basil?” -ap :rofl:

@dglt I am experimenting right now on my laptop. I have made a timeshift back up of my config. So far, it seems like the acpi_osi=! is what is disabling the touchpad. When I tried using it on my Prime setup, the touchpad was not working. Will let you know what I find when I switch to the bumblee setup. (fingers crossed that I can get it to work… I never have)

there are other acpi parameters you can try. maybe
acpi=strict
or
acpi=strict acpi_osi="Windows 2015"

i use acpi_osi=! on its own with prime and it doesnt have any effect on my touchpad, i think maybe some rely on acpi to function? turn on/off?

Sorry didn’t read all the posts (60 new since yesterday :hushed:)
Did you already try other acpi_osi values,

e.g.:
only
acpi_osi=Linux
without acpi_osi=!

also @op :
if you’re currently using video-linux can you show xrandr --listproviders output ?

on (nasty) possibe way to disable discrete gpu you could try via sysfs

@dglt It seems to only affect touchpads that are made by Elantech. Especially the newer ones.

If your magic 8 ball response is “hazy” I definitely think you should go with the default that all new Manjaro users follow. Cross you fingers and simply go with the whatever seems easiest and the least effort.

If the system melts down, simply blame it on the Manjaro developers.

SOP, am I right. :man_shrugging:

@tbg Careful now with that sort of thinking!

I feel so victimized. How do I apply for victim compensation? After all the world owes me, right? Cause I’ve been violated. No doubt about it. The world owes me big time.

OT

@tbg Easy does it (insert preferred non binary gender pronoun here). I am sure Canadia has a government service you can apply to. :wink:

On Topic

I honestly think that there is an issue with Bumblebee itself. The only way I can get my system to get past “Starting Account Services” on boot is to use either @jonathon’s Prime tutorial and use the nVidia card all the time, or stick with just the video-linux driver. No matter what kernel argument I use. That is an issue that I will start another thread for… if I decide to troubleshoot it.

Good morning everyone! I see we got some new people joining our man vs machine party. Reading last 20 posts or so, I think we got a little bit derailed here. We’re back to messing with acpi_osi options which are the issue in the first place, and using video-linux was supposed to be a way NOT to mess with that. I have to use it as soon as bbswitch is in place, so maybe going back to acpi_call is the way to go? Anyway I will try to figure out how to provide logs petsam asked for yesterday and report back with those.

@sathiel I understand that you want to boot without kernel arguments. My initial post of using acpi_osi="Windows 2015" was just something you might try. With my Asus FX504G laptop, link, the only way I could get it to boot with either video-linux or the nvidia-prime was to use kernel arguments. I use nVidia Prime right now. The only way I could get both my nVidia card to work and the touchpad to work was to add the following kernel arguments: nouveau.modeset=0 acpi_rev_override=5 psmouse.elantech_smbus=0 The first 2 are for the graphics card and the last one is for the Elantech touch pad that Asus likes to use. That is why I suggested what I did.

Actually I don’t really mind using kernel args, as long as I achieve my goal - I need touchpad to work and nvidia card powering off properly so my laptops battery life is as expected. I forgot to mention I’ve tried every suggested acpi_osi combination and none of them works except for acpi_osi=! acpi_osi=“Windows 2009”, and that leaves me without touchpad.

-- Logs begin at Sun 2019-01-27 05:29:12 CET, end at Wed 2019-01-30 02:50:54 CET. --
sty 30 02:47:49 jakub-pc kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: unknown chipset (ffffffff)
sty 30 02:47:54 jakub-pc bluetoothd[504]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
sty 30 02:48:03 jakub-pc login[1045]: pam_tally(login:auth): pam_get_uid; no such user
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   866.170] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied
[   867.299] (EE) kbd: <default keyboard>: failed to set us as foreground pgrp (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
[   867.310] (EE) /dev/dri/card0: failed to set DRM interface version 1.4: Permission denied

These are the logs I took last night, I hope this is what I was asked to do. These were taken without nouveau blacklisted, and without kernel arguments if I remember correctly.

nouveau.modeset=0 acpi_rev_override=5 psmouse.elantech_smbus=0

got me hard frozen on black screen again.

@vetzki

xrandr --listproviders
Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x48 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 4 outputs: 5 associated providers: 0 name:Intel

ok still only one provider,

can you check via lscpi -k if no module for nvidia gpu is loaded (if one is loaded can you try to remove it via modprobe -r)

after that, you could try this to disable nvidia gpu:

sudo -i / or su
cd /sys/bus/pci/devices/bus_id # e.g. cd “/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:01:00.0”
echo 1 > remove

afterwards lspci should not show nvidia gpu anymore (but again this is pretty nasty soultion and I’m also not sure if this stops nvidia gpu from drawing power)

Should I disable bbswitch first?

lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 05)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Xeon E3-1200 v6/7th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 05)
	Kernel driver in use: pcieport
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 591b (rev 04)
	DeviceName:  Onboard IGD
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1bb0
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
	Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
	Kernel modules: xhci_pci
00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Thermal Subsystem (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Sunrise Point-H Thermal subsystem
	Kernel driver in use: intel_pch_thermal
	Kernel modules: intel_pch_thermal
00:15.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Serial IO I2C Controller #0 (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Sunrise Point-H Serial IO I2C Controller
	Kernel driver in use: intel-lpss
	Kernel modules: intel_lpss_pci
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Sunrise Point-H CSME HECI
	Kernel driver in use: mei_me
	Kernel modules: mei_me
00:17.0 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode]
	Kernel driver in use: ahci
	Kernel modules: ahci
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #6 (rev f1)
00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #7 (rev f1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM175 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller
00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family Power Management Controller (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Sunrise Point-H PMC
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation CM238 HD Audio Controller (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. CM238 HD Audio Controller
	Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
	Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family SMBus (rev 31)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Sunrise Point-H SMBus
	Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
	Kernel modules: i2c_i801
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] (rev ff)
	Kernel modules: nouveau
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
	Kernel driver in use: r8169
	Kernel modules: r8169
03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RTS5229 PCI Express Card Reader
	Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
	Kernel modules: rtsx_pci
04:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 8265 / 8275 (rev 78)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
	Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
	Kernel modules: iwlwifi

I am afraid (I hope I’m wrong) there has been a bad mess after all changes back and forth.
I would start considering a re-install and start from scratch (backup data first).
Then, start from free drivers, disable nouveau with group parameter, install bbswitch, look for errors and check/use one method at a time. Leave acpi_call as last method.

Permission denied, is the main errors to solve…