MacBook with XFCE on usb won’t connect to internet

Basically, no matter what I do, the WiFi button says no available connections. It isn’t a problem with booting from proprietary or source, because both don’t work. Most of the solutions I’ve found on YouTube just give me a bunch of no connection error messages. It’s also not a problem with the hardware itself, nor the usb, because the usb worked on windows and when pinging through terminal everything returned fine. I have manjaro installed onto usb, so I’ve been hesitant to do anything that edits software on the laptop since macOS is on there. When trying Bluetooth, it says unsuccessful when connecting through Apple device. I’d really like to get this working, but I have no idea what to do. I checked my wireless network device and I can’t tell what it is. All it says is
‘1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000’ and a bunch of 00:00 things. For reference, I have a mid 2014 MacBook Pro with Catalina installed and the latest version of XFCE on a 32gb usb drive.
Edit: I have the bcma-pci-bridge drivers, and I’m looking at a tutorial fixing the issue (Broadcom wifi driver fails to install properly - Drivers - Manjaro Linux Forum) and it’s talking about changing the driver. Will this impact my Mac?

If broadcom-wl supports your chipset, then yes, it should work on Manjaro. inxi -Nazy

An no, that will have no impact on your MacOS.

Thanks! Gonna try this in a minute
Edit: The page is saying to uninstall WiFi drivers, but I don’t know how and I can’t find any documentation on it. How do I do it?

After trying to follow the tutorial, I’ve run into a wall. While updating, I closed out of it because all it was saying was error about halfway through the list. One of the files that was not working was important, so now I can’t carry on. The reason why there was so many errors is because I’m getting a connection by tethering it to my phone in an area with pretty bad WiFi. If I try to reload the updates page, it returns errors. I try running it through the pamac GUI, freezes downloading at some point, so I chose not to install it and tried again; that time it would not start. I checked mirrors(that’s where some of the recent errors were coming from) and it says I have a bad connection. I tried clearing the cache, but to no avail. I really don’t know what to do anymore.

Well in general, you just need to run sudo mhwd -i pci network-broadcom-wl. It should blacklist all other drivers and use the precompiled driver. After a reboot it should work.

Removing a driver is like unloading the driver modprobe -r or rmmod. But this is only temporary.

The tutorial describe the way to load the driver without a reboot.

Alright, gonna do that once it finishes uploading.

THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU’RE MY HERO. ok thanks for everything, you’re insane, I can’t thank you enough. One last thing; Firefox is very slow in loading(3 minutes to open a page), is that just one of the disadvantages of a usb?

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.