Opinions on Manjaro Architect? And what can improve?

I don’t like it (normally I don’t say things like this).
Yes, it works for me but I’ll need to go to the mirrors first (perhaps vpn is a step trickier) to get internet faster or else it gets stuck. Still slow (for my very fast connection).
I like to think I’m an experienced user (perception is subjective and biased), I’d rather not use it and wish there is a ‘normal’ net-install iso.

i’d rather go for a bootstrap tarball. One less iso to maintain. Use any existing standard or community iso to download, extract, chroot and get it all done.

m-a is great for more experienced users.
I’ve run a few test installs in VBox and it mostly works well.
As Strit said, not for newbies. But experienced users may like m-a very much, because it enables them to customise their install much more than the Calamares installer.

I wouldn’t use Calamares anymore, now that m-a is sufficiently stable and tested.

I would say it is ok for new users who are completely fearless when it comes to computers. Those who are ok with reading what is on the screen and selecting the default or if there is no default like with DEs to select any which sounds nice (Budgie, hehe).
We would need such users to test it and see if it really is unbrekable when using the defaults.

great tool, I like it :yum:

first I do pacman-mirrors -g to get the faster server at starting, the default seems slow when I tested

for me was the only option for installing manjaro on my new machine but i will use it on other machines too now

thanks to developers and maintainers :smiley:

I agree, it’d be better if there was an option to rank mirrors at the beginning.

I agree with this too. Went through architect multiple times, it really isn’t that hard for new users (who are good with computers in general) to use it. Most of the stuff are really easy to google if they don’t know what it is. Like all of the partitioning tools, kernels, zsh, fish, kernel-headers, DE, etc. And I find the tutorial to be a GREAT guide.

Pretty much my opinion.
I’ve been installing linux of various flavors since text mode installers were in vogue. I didn’t find it all that hard.

But there should be a First Timer Option that presents ONE screen of basic choices that gets them going. The problem with that is there are just a lot of choices that have to be made and without some basic assumptions about what the newbie wants you just can’t do a good job of that.

On one page you are told that:

• You detect or select Country Selection / Language
  • You get EITHER Dual Boot or Wipe your whole hard drive - nothing gets saved
  • You get a choice of KDE XFCE yadda yadda and yadda (All of them best guess for newbies - they can get install the rest later).
  • Forced File system selection (no risky file systems like BTRFS, you get bog standard ext4)

Everything else is defaulted to the best working possibility. If it can’t pre-determine the best working video drivers for the installed hardware, or it can’t figure out a safe dual-boot strategy, it just declines to do the install with apologies, and doesn’t do any damages.

The other possibility for the totall Newbie User would to to just have Architech download and install a pre-built machine and then (after a brief explanation) start the VirtualBox installer.

But I have to ask: Is the absolute Newbie the target market for Architech?

I’m sure @jsamyth will disagree he usually does but that is good for any discussion as it brings different points to the table.
When we 1st started the Architect-installer project that’s arch not Manjaro, we actually did 2 installers both net, One was basic and ended up a non-net installer for Archbang, I don’t even know if they still use it or would even admit it was not theirs anyway.
But architect users wanted more not less so that’s what we aimed for. As to making manjaro-architect newbie friendly it would kill it dead in my opinion its target is not new users but users that want more transparency and flexability installing Manjaro.

There is. It is selecting the defaults. There is also an automatic partitioning which detects UEFI and does everything right.

Not really, cli installer is a hard sell for a total newbie. The installer is designed around the concept of building your own manjaro system, which is by definition too overwhelming for a beginner.

A few things.

• more options for setting up btrfs snapshotting
  • more options for bootloader
  • option to chroot into the installation
  • option to add arbitrary packages via fzf interface (like pacui/pacli)
  • zfs and f2fs support
  • improved encryption support
  • option for autologin
  • option for hibernation
  • option for silent boot
  • more stability
  • improved use of the ini file

It is not a good installer to run from live iso. That is very wasteful. What you need to do is install manjaro on USB key and run it from there. Then you can use the existing pacman cache and don’t need to download everything, can have the right mirrors always after setting them once. And it remembers your language settings and you can have graphical partitioning tools more easily.

Maybe there should be an option to unsquash the iso instead of pacstrapping?

This would be great to have, but hard to implement. I don’t know how Ubuntu does it, but automatic dual boot is quite complicated to implement. The “replace partition” of calamares is probably easier. If we would have this level of automation, it would be even more beginner friendly than calamares.

I like the idea though. I wonder what would it take to implement? I suck at partitioning from command line. That’s why I forked Architect instead of doing something else myself.

For automatic dual boot, the installer should

1. warn that this breaks any previous linux installation on disk. Also warn that Windows must be defragmented in order to avoid data loss
  2. check first if there is suitable, empty partition or unpartitioned space present. If so, use it.
  3. check the other partitions. If there is a partition that is in safe state and has enough available space, split it to make room. Minimum required amount should be highballed, because chosen desktop is unknown.
  4. warn if no safe option is available, report it and offer manual partitioning instead.

I know very little, but I was able to succesfully install in virtualbox. I tried to choose the default option whenever in doubt. Thanks a lot

Yes, that’s true.

That’s where I don’t see the point of it all. booting liveiso from grub2 is so fast and don’t need any burning or use of usb or dvd etiher.

But I stress I understand the usefulness to some people.
Still wish there’s a ‘normal’ net-install though.
I had reverted to using Ubuntu ‘server’ edition for my custom DE/WE/none.

The point is to have a persistent pacman cache on a mobile system. Using an USB key has the advantage of being able to install on new systems. You need to have grub already installed and setup on target hardware to use your solution. Admittedly, you need need a ready manjaro system to get the USB installation going also, but once it is done, it should also stay up to date for quite some time.

But yeah, booting isos from grub is really nice.

Exactly my point in my post above, quoted below. Maybe I should have taken Architect out of the equation?

And you can’t do much damage that way, Its probably where we should steer Newbies rather than Architech. Its WAY more friendly than destroying their windows install and leaving them desperate. Especially if they only have one computer.

Dual boot and Video drivers are the #1 and #2 BIG Problem Areas in any Linux install, and the most common requests for help here on these forums.

Play with Manjaro in a VM for a few months and learn the ropes. I consider myself a moderately experienced Linux user (i’ve only installed maybe 8 or 10 different linux distros, and 3 BSDs), I did 6 months of Manjaro in a VM learning the package management and different DEs before I put it on bare metal.

Now days I’ve moved most of my Windows machines into VMs, an run Linux on the metal.

@jsamyth you sound more experienced, I’ve installed over 1000 since 2005 up-to 25 this year mainly small projects, many more than once all on metal don’t like VB.
But not Manjaro-Architect waiting till its released stable, done to much testing Architect-installer and we have a new maintainer for it so more testing but only testing now, so I know what to expect.
I just do to much testing usually like you 3 months at a time, At moment Obarun, Nutyx, and void are really getting me involved to much for anything else

Okay, thanks for elaboration. And there’s no problem getting grub set up in usb and that boot usb. :sunglasses:

Okay, comparing these scenarios, advantages of USB installation + manjaro-architect would be:

• no need to download new isos. Allways up to date
  • all manjaro editions and kernels available
  • able to choose openrc on editions where there is no iso for it

Using an iso also has advantages.

Of course, you can also mix the two: install to USB key and add any isos you want to its grub :slight_smile:

manjaro-architect is actually way more friendly than it looks like. That doesn’t make it “newbie friendly” per se, but I find the menu driven structure very easy to grasp. Reminds me of old Arch/Debian/Suse installers.

Testing in VBox is highly recommended before proceeding with the real install.

Best have two USB sticks ready, one with the traditional ISO, and one with m-a ISO.

For the rest, I’m with Chrysostomus there. There are still a few things missing from m-a, but he’s getting there… :slight_smile:
As a general feedback: the last three times I used m-a, it worked without a problem and gave exactly the result I wanted. Next week, I’m going to use it for a real install.

Aha! That’s where the ‘slowness’ comes in. At installation.
But read again Chrysostomus’ posts. He’s saying if m-a is installed at a ‘working regular’ (he didn’t say that but means that) Manjaro installation, it can be used much more …uhm,… easily, efficiently, fastly… and that ‘working’ installation can be at a usb. (he needs to try that out with a different graphic card though). I get the picture, his comments are very helpful and good.

But torvic, after your ‘test’, appreciate your further comments. (I like your frankness before).