Opinions on Manjaro Architect? And what can improve?

Or, one usb stick with both package cache and live iso, which is started by grub installed on the USB stick. That is probably one of the best combos.

Can you add another partition to a USB stick after buring an ISO with dd on it?

Don’t dd. Just cp, install grub and add custom entry to grub.cfg that boots the iso (instructions are in another thread). No need for other partitions.

These were just added to git

In the case of only having one machine, I find having a handbook or guide available at the command line (in another terminal) super helpful during a complicated install. At the very least I think having a text mode browser with access to the internet could be beneficial.

This gives the possiblity of more elaborate information for the intrepid newbie that wants to learn or needs a little help with some things.

I understand architect is for advanced users who know what they’re doing so maybe this would be considered superflous I guess ? I just like making suggestions to make manjaro even better and more accessible to newbies than it already is. Whether that’s a good thing or not I dunno lol :slight_smile:

You could:

1. Boot into a Live ISO of Manjaro, then sudo pacman -Sy manjaro-architect and install it that way. And have access to a GUI web browser.
  2. Boot into Manjaro Architect, access the terminal and install a command-line browser.
  3. Use a Virtual Machine to test Manjaro Architect.

Just follow this guide. It is pretty straightforward. The only thing you might have issues with is partitioning and mounting if you aren’t experienced in that area, which you could always ask assistance for :slight_smile: I personally recommend using cfdisk but that’s just me.

I only have one machine, and I went all in with Manjaro Architect without testing it on a VM, but I had my smartphone to keep the tutorial open. I am in no way an advanced user. But if you aren’t comfortable with it, I’d recommend using a VM.

I would use it from graphical environment (unless I had to do otherwise) and use real browser + gparted for partiotioning. I’m not that advanced…

I remember when the Arch Beginner Guide proposed to use elinks in one terminal to open the guide and another terminal to do the actual installation. Then you could switch between those terminals with Ctrl-Alt-Fx. But that’s ancient advice, but elinks is still useful in that regard.

Arch anywhere installer has offline version of Arch wiki included. Not a bad idea.

I have never used their installer. How did that offline wiki work? Also sounds like a pain having to pull all of the wiki info out (I’ve done it before, moving something from Wikia to Gamepedia), mostly seeing how wiki’s are always changing. Doesn’t make a lot of sense with a Net installer either, since a net installer needs the internet to work in the first place.

I noticed that Manjaro Architect doesn’t have a wiki page yet. I just messaged Rob like the wiki says to do to make an account. Though it looks like he has posted on the forum since Nov 22, 2016 o O . I can help out and add an entry in once I am able to edit the wiki.

Edit: Well I guess an offline wiki would mean less bandwidth needed during installation. And faster access, because you don’t have to load the page.

The part that caught me out when doing that is the need to manually add the virtualbox-guest drivers. I have done so many VM installs where that is done automatically it took me ages to figure out what I did wrong :smiley:

hello to all!
i love the manjaro-architect
…great thanks to the developer(s)! - i understand it’s Chrysostomus (?)
i used it only once so far and it worked for me exactly as promised.

to explain, why i love the idea behind it, i need to tell how i got to it:
i am using Linux now roughly since 2 years - went from linuxmint over opensuse over antergos finally to archlinux, willing to install it “the arch-way”… Trying this i constantly got the feeling, i am still just to ‘noobish’ to succeed in it. then i stumbled upon the “systemd VS ‘any decent solution’”-discussion

• (and was somehow a bit shocked about the unfamiliar amount of stubbornness which accompanies this subject - but anyway…) - and choose to rather make my self familiar with technology, that follows Ideas, which seem decent to me, even though it excludes me of a lot of support.
    “Warning: Arch Linux only has official support for systemd” :unamused:
    so i looked around for arch-openrc-distros, where i might look into - to undersand, how i can install/configure an archlinux-system cusomized to my needs and containing no more than what i need.
    It made me reconsider manjaro (which i ditched earlier because i generally first want to know what the ‘original’ has to offer, before i experiment with forks and i understood the manjaro-repo somewhat as a fork of the (official) archlinux-repo …and probably because i very much dislike the xfce-de… :wink: )

the fact, that Manjaro Architect supports openrc let it appear to me somewhat saviour-alike yesterday, when i discovered it (even containing an i3-template :heart_eyes: )

i’d like to look inside and understand it, how it’s made and how it works, so i can improve in putting together a customized system ideal to my personal needs.

And that’s where i could imagine improvement:
Would it be possible, to make it more transparent for enthusiasts? i think of projects like archi3 by Eric Dubois, who wrote a bunch of shell-scripts, which will install your system. This has the great advantage, that you can just look inside the script and see, whats actually going on, try to reproduce it by CLI manually and learn, how to customize, fork, rewrite, etc. it to your personal likings.

Another very attractive improvement could be the feature, not only being able to architect an installed system, but to architect an installation-image, that will install you exactly the system you would get by using the manjaro-architect.

Both ideas probably are projects on their own. i’d like to volunteer - but i guess i am by far not experienced enough to be of any help.
btw - this is my very first post in ANY linux-related Forum! so please excuse the lenght of it and that i might got offtopic here and there

Well… at the end of the architect installation, I believe it gives you an option to save the configuration you just did to be able to use it on other installations. Also, you can copy the pacman cache over onto the Architect USB (or wherever you are booting with to install) so that you don’t have to redownload everything, just cd to the folder, and copy the packages over via command-line during the installation.

just a thought: would it be possible, to merge something like “archiso” into the architect? so the user get’s a bootable iso-file in the end?
When it already gives you an option to save the configuration and the pacman cache, can “archiso” then somehow use it, to make an iso from it?

but i used the architect only once so far (due to rather limited freetime)

• i will defenetly check this out during further experiments with it!

(on usb it didn’t work for me that one time, but i don’t remember right now, what error it gave me, so i burned it to a rewritable DVD, that worked perfectly.)

The thing with virtual machines is the simulated hardware is obviously different, generally more compatible with lots of operating systems.

When you actually go to do a real install it’s like you’re dropped in at the deep end where random bits of hardware isn’t detected or there’s no drivers etc. And there’s no switching back to the host o/s to do google searches. You’re just sat there at a command line like err is there a distro-specific way to fix all the things or am I to trail and error my way to victory lmao

Admittedly I’m thinking of any flavour of bsd you care to shake a stick at, I think manjaro is easy mode in comparison, like a cosy sofa with a pot of tea and biscuits.

That would actually be a very nifty feature. Could be done with buildiso I guess.

@Chrysostomus and I are currently having a discussion about including ecryptfs (à la Ubuntu) in m-a. For some people it could be an alternative to LUKS encryption.
I’m sure that m-a will be a very powerful tool in the near future. With an easy installer like Calamares, plus the advanced installer m-a, Manjaro would offer even more choice to the users.

But by that time, you’ve become familiar with the OS, and the tools, and you’ve read a few hundred pleas for help in these forums, and you couldn’t have helped but notice that many of them deal with the kind of hardware you have on your bare metal.

I ran in a VM for 6 months. Before I committed to bare metal. (I still run that VM on testing branch). I had a pretty good grasp of Manjaro tools and techniques before I even started.

Well you see now that’s the sensible thing to do. I’m not a sensible person lol

So long as i have a bootable usb stick I whimsically go head first into installing any operating system just for the jilly jollies of it. :slight_smile:

The code is here, it is just a simple bash script https://github.com/Chrysostomus/manjaro-architect/. If you want to contribute you are welcome to.

Manjaro-tools (buildiso specifically) is archiso equilevant in manjaro. Manjaro-architect uses them as backend. I could do an interactive front-end to buildiso, but that is beyond the scope of this particular project. Later when this is done. I already had plans for this.

It would have several options:

1. use running system as a template for the iso.
  2. choose an existing manjaro profile
  3. choose an existing manjaro profile and modify it. Add and remove packages with fzf, set options for kernel, initsystem, drivers and do on. Open profile in filemanager to edit/add overlay files.

New Pet Project Idea with Manjaro

i’d love to do…
but sadly i am still at the very beginning of understanding code/scripting and even using the CLI. i didn’t even realize the files at github are readable to me* - because i was looking for .sh… - and gave up, seeing the BIN-folder, so i thought 'ah, it’s binaries - no use to open it in an editor…"
if you have an idea, how an absolute beginner still might be of any help, i’d happy to hear it :slight_smile:

*therefore thank you, for pointing that out