Opera-ffmpeg-codecs — Why is the file size so large?

Hello. I wanted to install the opera-ffmpeg-codecs package. However, when I started installing it via Pacman, I noticed that the Internet traffic was too high. I feel like the file is extremely heavy.
I downloaded the package from github
https://aur.archlinux.org/opera-ffmpeg-codecs.git
I found a link to a file there:
.SRCINFO > source = https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-official/chromium-121.0.6167.140.tar.xz

I tried to download this file
wget https://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-official/chromium-121.0.6167.140.tar.xz

And I discovered that its size is 3.1 GB.

Is this normal?

opera and opera-ffmpeg-codecs were recently dropped from the Arch repos to the AUR. Both are built from source, have large source archives and may take hours to build.

Tell me what to do in this case? Just wait?
And what is the reason for the removal?

In my first message I wrote how I acted and where I got the files from.
Opera support advised me to simply copy the file from the installed version of Chromium.

Unfortunately, Opera dem and rpm doesn’t support H.264/MP4 codec natively. We recommend using snap to avoid such problems with codecs.

If you want to fix it manually, please try the following:

1. Download Chromium, if you don’t have it installed yet.
  2. Now run the following command in Linux Shell: sudo ln -s /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libs/libffmpeg.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so.32 (this command links the Chromium libffmpeg.so file to Opera).
  3. Restart Opera and visit this site to check that HTML 5 playback works correctly.

And then I found information too.

It looks like only one file is needed, but I already have it in this folder. Only here are some YouTube videos that previously played normally, now they don’t work

Hello? I think we just went over this yesterday. :wink:

Forgive me, but I’m not only writing on the forum now, looking for how to fix this bug with the video, but I’m also doing other things, so I don’t have time to arrange everything beautifully.

1 Like

If you have time to post on our forum, then you also have time to post properly. Good grief, it’s just highlighting text and clicking a button. :stuck_out_tongue:

Please see:

What bug? What video? :thinking:

cd /usr/lib/opera
sudo mv libffmpeg.so libffmpeg_BU.so
sudo cp /usr/lib/electron/libffmpeg.so /usr/lib/opera

it helped me!

What does this have to do with offtopic, if I explained to you the situation that happened to me. and your thoughts about what is happening. You’re strange

Where did you find those commands and why do you think it helped you? Do you even know what they do?

Why? What does that have to do with anything in this topic?

You suspected wrong.

The answer to the question in your topic title has been answered. Anything beyond is a different subject. If you need further assistance, please create a new Support topic in the proper category.

Off-topic discussion has been removed.