Transparency/Blur not working after CPU OC

Running the latest stable version of Manjaro KDE, I was working to OC my i5 4690k and am seeing some weird issues. Initially I had it running 4.5Ghz @ 1.200 voltage. When I moved up to 4.6Ghz, I had a crash so I began increasing voltage. I now have it running steady with 4.6Ghz @ 1.225 volts passing basic Cinebench R15 tests, but for some reason my transparency and blur is no longer working. I also noticed latte dock animations not working and when I Ctrl + Alt + Delete, my background is no longer showing up.

I tried rolling back to 4.5Ghz @ 1.200 but the problem still persists (even tho it didn’t before under those settings). Anybody have any idea how to fix this? Here’s a link to a screenshot to show what I’m getting with lattedock instead of the blur/transparency.

β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   --------------- 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   OS: Manjaro Linux x86_64 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Kernel: 5.8.18-1-MANJARO 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ            β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Uptime: 7 mins 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Packages: 1247 (pacman) 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Shell: bash 5.0.18 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Resolution: 3840x2160, 3840x2160 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   DE: Plasma 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM: KWin 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   WM Theme: MonochromeBlur 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Theme: Monochrome [Plasma], Materia-Blackout [GTK3] 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Icons: Hey-classic-dark [Plasma], Hey-classic-dark [GTK2/3] 
β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆ   Terminal: konsole 
                               Terminal Font: Iosevka Oblique 10 
                               CPU: Intel i5-4690K (4) @ 4.600GHz 
                               GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 
                               Memory: 2159MiB / 32060MiB 

Transparency, blur and animations are all things handled by the compositor ─ in KDE Plasma, the compositor is kwin.

Apparently your experiments have crashed your window manager. You can restart that, but I think the giveaway here is that you should not be conducting such experiments in the first place.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

How do I restart the window manager? I’ve tried the following and it doesn’t have any impact.

kwin11_x11 --replace
plasmashell --replace

Reboot into the UEFI firmware setup, undo that overclocking, and then boot up normally. :man_shrugging:

Once booted up, verify that the compositor is running in System Settings… :arrow_down:

Hardware β†’ Display and Monitor β†’ Compositor β†’ Enable compositor on startup

OpenGL 3.1 is recommended for your hardware.

1 Like

Thanks for the help @Aragorn.

For anybody else curious, one of my Cinebench runs for OpenGL crashed during one of my unstable runs and that seems to have been what caused it. Going to Compositor as mentioned had a red error message on top and a button to regenerate. I clicked the button and also switched to OpenGL 3.1 (was previously on 2.0), then clicked Apply and everything is working again, even under the 4.6Ghz OC.

1 Like

fwiw, my compositor crashes in Plasma with X11 on an RPI4, works fine in Wayland.
I have not found a reason… guess I can try it without overclocking but doubt I am pushing the limits.