Black screen on login (Lenovo V15 ADA AMD 3020E)

A week ago I installed the latest Manjaro on a friend’s Lenovo V15 ADA AMD 3020E with an integrated GPU.

I have no access to that machine and she is not computer literate.

She has just reported that sometimes a black screen shows up in lieu of the login screen.

Such screen is typically responsive to CTRL + ALT + F3 from where she can startx manually most of the time (some red error messages may show up). But typically she is just able to login upon reboot.

The problem is more serious when she closes the lid. Then, the computer does not properly wake up after suspend and the black screen does not seem to be responsive to any key combination.

Again, reboot seems to solve the problem most of the times.

video drivers version?

I think this is a known issue for amd intergrated graphic.
This occurs mostly on gnome de with amd graphics.

When you reach the blank screen you can just Switch TTY and move back to TTY1 and you should be able to see the login screen.
A quick online search shows that blacklisting radeon drivers fixes this issue but I have not testing it yet.

Please advice which DE are you on and Can you provide the output of
inxi -Fzxi

Thanks.

Hello,

Most of the time you can find the resolution by clicking on the mag glass and typing in your issue. Most of the time the question has been asked and resolution given. Always put you Inxi info in your post so those helping will know what your system specs are. Here is a link to one of several post on this issue.

Hello,

First of all, sorry for the late reply. It took a while for my friend to find the time and gather the courage in order to run the diagnostic tools and apply the suggested fix.

Inxi shows that, when the display is working correctly, the amdgpu drivers are in use.

Blacklisting the radeon driver seems so far to have fixed the issues.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

This is what we ended up doing:

echo blacklist radeon | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-radeon.conf

sudo mkinitcpio -p linux58

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.