Openbox Suite: System monitoring tools for custom desktop environments

Openbox is a great window manager, but it lack it’s dedicated system monitoring tools. Often they must be installed from oher desktop environments, along with a lot of useless dependancies.

ObSuite is a light and modulable alternative to those packages. It include five basic tools which make it easy to manage or monitor volume, network, bluetooth, battery and backlight. It is mostly meant for laptops, yet also interesting for desktop computers as the unused modules are easily disabled. In both case, bluetooth is great for a quick access to connect/disconnect methods for selected devices, and the network module allow some feedback when using wpa_supplicant alone. Lastly, it is of course highly customizable and use Numix’s wonderful icon set. With OpenBox, tint2 and ObSuite, you’ll get a solid start for a light and beautiful custom desktop environment.

Have a look on the Gitlab page for screenshots and more info:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/obsuite-git/

Obsuite

Awesome! :heart_eyes: I’ll try how it works with my RecBox config (kinda Manjaro Openbox Studio) tomorrow :slight_smile: I think @fhdk need to see this :slight_smile:

I personally use polybar, which has all these settings too. But it’s nice to have alternatives.

Really great additions :+1: both @Mr_Glitch and @alfalfa

Our forum member @Piotr already did something like this + some cool scripts to use with tint2 too.
Check obhud, tint2-executors and psuinfo from https://github.com/nwg-piotr :wink:

Thank you I’m appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link, I have not seen these scripts before :slight_smile:

I think they both have their pro and cons. The advantage of Obsuite is that it integrate into tint2, allowing to use only one bar instead of two. It is also more discrete and rely on a popup widget for ponctual notifications.

It is actually when Piotr published obhud on the Arch forum that I decided to make Obsuite. Over the last two years, I already made some monitoring tools, so I finally decided to group them together in order to improve customization and to save on RAM. Over obhud it has the advantage to do passive monitoring instead of altering Openbox hotkeys. This also makes it possible to use with other window managers such as i3.

Oh, you are the developer of Obsuite? Hats off to you and many thanks for your contributions to FOSS.

Both of you did great job man :slight_smile:
Things like this are always usefull and make openbox more complex.