[openbox] 18.1.0 ISO release stable branch

Minimal Openbox ISO 18.1.0 Stable Branch

dl-button

Minimal ISO

direct | sig | sha1 | sha256 | torrent

Wallpaper

The installed minimal version is without wallpaper - please select one for yourself using the PreferencesWallpaper item.

Desktop icons

If you want desktop icons

• ensure pcmanfm is installed (only minimal)
  • edit ~/.config/openbox/autostart and uncomment the pcmanfm --desktop line.

Launchers

Rofi and JG Launcher is searchable - filter by typing - and can also be navigated using the arrow keys.

• Root menu AltSpace or Rightclick desktop
  • JG Launcher Super or AltF1 or using the Manjaro icon
  • Rofi (AltF2)
  • To add/change wallpaper
    PreferencesWallpaper item.
  • Changing themes, fonts etc is located in
    Root menu → Preferences
  • Help and documentation is located in
    Root menu → Help and Info

Full ISO

direct | sig | sha1 | sha256 | torrent

21 Likes

nobody like this version??:crazy_face::crazy_face::joy::joy::joy:

I do.. I am also going to try bspwm.. :slight_smile:

Openbox was my first love in Linux, particularly Manjaro's version of Openbox with dynamic menu and Tint2 bar when Manjaro was at version number 0.7. This new version is okay for new people, I guess.

2 Likes

Windows 10 refugee here. Two best things about Manjaro are AUR and it's rolling release cycle. It's just amazing that you touch the ISO only once and get latest updates for the rest of your life.. With AUR, you get literally every single software Linux has to offer. M$ tried this so hard but has been failing miserably with broken updates and nonsense feature upgrades.. And it'd be better if I don't mention the poor M$ Store LOL..

1 Like

My favorite was 0.8, with the same tint2 and dynamic menu.

@Monro @tazzan
You can change to dynamic menu by using the Switch menu item in the root menu.

Thanks. Forgot about that :slight_smile:

And the Applications menu is a dynamic menu as I thought it would be nice to have applications there if some were accustomed to going there.

So applications can be launched using three (3) different metods

Root menu (AltSpace or Rightclick desktop)
JG Launcher (Super or AltF1 or Click the launcher icon)
Rofi (AltF2)

And all menus can be navigated using the keyboard only

1 Like

I use this in my desktop and laptop. I love it. Is highly customizable, yet easy to use.

2 Likes

wow,it's HK or taiwan?

19.07.11 19.08.14 what versions are these?

These are ISO build dates for 18.0.4.

I've never used Openbox in my life. I think I'll give it a go on my secondary laptop, it looks pretty.

I could not boot the 18.1.0 Openbox any more. I see the first text boot messages and the boot process stops with a blank black text screen and the cursor in the upper left corner. A previous 2018 ISO did work. I could also boot the 18.1.0 KDE ISO. I tried with rufus (now without the DD dialog) and Win32 Disk Imager.

I have tested it on 5 different systems without issues - could you please link the result of your inxi system spec

install pastebinit if you don't have it already

sudo pacman -Syu pastebinit

Then run inxi and and share the link

inxi -Fxxxc0 | pastebinit
1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply. In the meantime I have found out that there is a 19.08.14 Openbox ISO, this one boots perfectly... So I have already removed the 18.1.0 KDE partition in order to perform a fresh Openbox install...

I have to try to find out the strategy behind the version numbers. Also the 19.08.14 is termed "stable"...

My strategy has been using a date - so the little off numbers are dates yymmdd and unless otherwise indicated in the filename they are on stable branch. I forgot the release 18.0.4 on some of the isos.

I have proposed a naming change to all ISO's so the defaults stable and x86_64 are exchanged for yymmdd and linuxXY.

The intention is to only add in if it deviates from the default - e.g. minimal, i686 or unstable.

This is the schema for 18.1.0 lxde, lxqt and openbox.

2 Likes

Sounds reasonable. But I think the 18.1.0 was announced after the 19.08.14 and on the new homepage the 18.1.0 is linked. Here I would assume to see the 19.08.14...

19.08.14 = yy.mm.dd

So 18.0.1 - 190915 = yymmdd is later build

There is also ISO with later dates and kernel 5.13

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by