community-edition
openbox

Openbox ISO release

dl-button

Full ISO

direct | sig | sha1 | sha256

Minimal ISO

direct | sig | sha1 | sha256

To keep the releases apart I am using yywwd as identifier. That is the year, week of year, day of week.

So 19073 is created on day 3 of week 7 of year 2019.

$ echo $(date +%y%U%w)

My System Is Broke? Newbie Needing Some Help
[Openbox] 18.0.3 Screnshot

Hi @fhdk, im on GNOME Illyria, is it possible to move into OpenBox without downloading the new full OB iso and not losing existing data?

It has it’s challenges but it could be done. Have a look at below page on Manjaro gitlab.

is the manjaro.org download for openbox suppose to be linked to the latest release? i just went to download and it’s linked to 18.0.2 . not sure if it’s intended to be that way, just thought i would throw it out there.

I don’t know how it is linked - if it is for a specific release or the folder it self.

Maybe opening an issue on gitlab will help to fix it.

Nice.

I decided i am gonna give it a go, downloading minimal .iso now. I want install playonlinux and wine on it and get all my games running nice and cool.
Thanks

Downloading the Full ISO

Thank you

Okay, since my main distro is Artix Linux so i installed Manjaro OpenBox some older iso i had burnt on DVD few months ago, my favourite colours btw and managed to transform it into Artix OpenRC just done it :D. I am very excited!!!
Thank you @fhdk, guys from archlabs and Bungenlabs too, i love this openbox setup it’s much better than anything else i have seen before!!!@@@@

I only wonder now how can i change the icon in polybar… :slight_smile: Thanks

~/.config/polybar

Yeah i know that.
But there’s for example modules-left = manjaro
if i go to …/modules/manjaro.conf there’s label-foreground = ${theme.brightmaia} i suppose this is for the icon.
However now i have no clue how to change it for some other icon and for example. But it’s fine, it’s related to polybar anyways, not Manjaro itself ;).

ned help with the first part

how do i run it ?

thank you

exactly as its written, the openbox.txt im assuming is a list of packages.
just make sure you either have openbox.txt in the same directory your running the command from
~/openbox.txt

so if openbox.txt is in your home directory, just open a terminal and run it exactly as shown in the picture

@dglt

Many thanks

this openbox setup is the best of all other setups ever for me.
right click menu is amazing and fast, unlike to windows or kde menu where you have to press left menu and scroll it down as well it’s waste of time.
But this one has great colours, polybar is amazingly configured i just love this setup it’s my #1 of all desktop environments or windows managers, the best 10/10.

Although this .iso has a bit darker polybar colours than the one i have got on DVD. I am very grateful for what you have done, amazing.
edit1: i am showing off now i am like oo look people how amazing my desktop looks like, your windows or kde’s is no match for this one hahah. and you don’t even know what it is but i do

it does look great right the way it comes configured. i played around a little with the compton and polybar configurations which are incredibly easy to understand and modify. i’m right now learning how to configure Awesome window manager and it uses the lua coding language to configure so it’s a bit alien to me at the moment. i dont see myself getting rid of openbox anytime soon though as it’s still my favorite. this is my most recent compton.conf if you want to try it.

~/.config/compton.conf
# Shadow
shadow = true;
no-dnd-shadow = true;
no-dock-shadow = true;
clear-shadow = true;
shadow-radius = 7;
shadow-offset-x = -7;
shadow-offset-y = -7;
shadow-opacity = 0.60;
shadow-ignore-shaped = true;

# Opacity
menu-opacity = 0.92;
inactive-opacity = 0.85;
active-opacity = 1.0;
inactive-opacity-override = false;

# Fade
fading = true;
fade-delta = 2;
fade-in-step = 0.01;
fade-out-step = 0.01;
alpha-step = 0.08;
no-fading-openclose = false;
no-fading-destroyed-argb = false;

# Backend
backend = "xr_glx_hybrid";
vsync = "opengl-swc";
mark-wmwin-focused = true;
mark-ovredir-focused = true;
detect-rounded-corners = true;
detect-client-opacity = true;
refresh-rate = 0;
paint-on-overlay = true;
unredir-if-possible = true;
detect-transient = true;
detect-client-leader = true;

# GLX backend
glx-no-stencil = true;
glx-no-rebind-pixmap = true;

opacity-rule = [
    "85:class_g *?= 'xterm'",
    "92:class_g *?= 'thunar'",
    "0:_NET_WM_STATE@:32a * = '_NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN'"
];

shadow-exclude = [
    "name *?= 'Notification'",
    "class_g *?= 'synapse'",
    "class_g *?= 'jgmenu'",
    "class_g *?= 'VirtualBox'",
    "class_g *?= 'Conky'",
    "class_g *?= 'Notify-osd'",
    "class_g *?= 'cairo-dock'",
    "class_g *?= 'trayer'",
    "class_g *?= 'i3-frame'",
    "class_g *?= 'firefox'",
    "class_g *?= 'navigator'",
    "class_g *?= 'Cairo-clock'",
    "class_g *?= 'Cairo-dock'",
    "class_g *?= 'plank'",
    "class_g *?= 'Docky'",
    "_NET_WM_STATE@:32a *= '_NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN'",
    "_GTK_FRAME_EXTENTS@:c"
];

focus-exclude = [
    "class_g *?= 'Cairo-clock'",
    "class_g *?= 'Virtualbox'",
    "class_g *?= 'trayer'",
    "_NET_WM_STATE@:32a *= '_NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN'",
    "name *?= 'Authy'"
];

wintypes:
{
    tooltip = { fade = true; shadow = true; focus = true; };
};

added some mild menu transparency and unfocused transparency, rendering backend, among other things i cant remember. just backup your current compton.conf before trying it if you do.

is there blur setting in compton??

yes, it’s in the man pages but i’ve never used it, or at least i dont remember using it. :thinking:

yes and it’s pretty simple to enable, although the default blur is very minimal, i think it may be customizable. anyhow it works, just played around a little with it on Awm

there are aur versions that seem to have better blur capabilities
aur/compton-tryone-git works great, 20 levels of blur and some other additional settings
aur/compton-no-blur-limit-git (works poorly)

Worth trying out, thank you ;).

This stuff is like the best computing experience… Ditching windows 10 was so much worth it just to discover power of open-source and what somebody can create and give to others, like this edition of openbox. Using laptop is so good like never before, really. :slight_smile: