Manjaro SwayWM incredibly slow

So… I hate to be that guy, but I really don’t know how to proceed. I wanted to try SwayWM, so I installed Manjaro Sway. Since the setup it has been incredibly slow when using keyboard (I mean, waiting something like 2 seconds between a single keypress and the next one) but I somehow managed to pull through the installation, hoping that installing some updated packages would have helped eventually. Unfortunately, it did not: after the first run, updated all packages and installed nouveau (I have a GeForce RTX 3080Ti, since it’s my gaming PC) my situation did not improve, and now I am quite stuck. I cannot even use inxi to provide some details about my configuration because it would be impossible to copy and paste the output, let alone open Firefox to browse the forum.

So… I am kinda at a loss, not even knowing what component is currently failing, how to identify it and how to solve this. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the low informative help request but I honestly don’t know how I could have done better.

You probably have to install the correct drivers for your GPU and not rely on nouveau.

I guess it’s only slow in Sway and you can access another TTY.

2 Likes

Yes, I can access another TTY and it works fine. Point is, if I install video-nvidia via mhwd, it doesn’t seem to work anyway even adding nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in GRUB and adding --unsupported-gpu when starting sway. it simply freezes after the warning that it’s using an unsupported GPU. Should I watch dmesg or other log facilities to inspect that issue instead?

I guess it’s not video-nvidia but another driver with the correct name.

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

(And remove the additional kernel parameters.)

Ok, my mistake, video-nvidia was the mhwd recipe, not the driver name. However, I am back to square one: installed nonfree driver, added nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in Grub (manually editing the entry at boot an pressing F10 to boot) and booting sway --unsupported-gpu, but everything freezes after the first entry.

Well, if sway tells you that the GPU is unsupported, it actually might not be supported: Sway Wiki on nvidia

1 Like

Yeah I read that part, that’s why I was trying with Nouveau.

I guess I’ll switch back to i3 for the time being :frowning_face: