Open iPhone heic photos on Manjaro?

New to Manjaro. After digging around for one hour, I finally managed to access iPhone on this machine. I copied several photos but Unfortunately, they can not be opened. Anything I can do to fix this issue?

The package gvfs-afc is required to access an iPhone.

I have no experience with iPhone - but some cameras does not same as images but as raw data (e.g. Canon and Nikon) and from a search using :duck::duck::walking_man: so does Apple.

Such files has to be read by an application that understands the raw format and converted to png or another universal format.

You can setup your iPhone camera to store in universal format instead of heic.

You can install a decoder for the format

sudo pacman -Syu libheif

Various other packages is in AUR.

1 Like

What does that mean? Is this access restrictions? Or do you viewers not support the format? Please share the error message you get.

And what file type are the pictures? Do they have extension *.heic? On my PC *.heic files are opened by gimp, eog and xviewer without problem.

Image file not supported.

If they are jpg photos,you can open them on Manjaro easily,but for now they are the.heic photos.
So this guide will show you what you need to do if you want to open heic photos on Manjaro.

HEIC (or HEIF) is actually not a raw format..
It's High Efficiency Image File format defined by MPEG-H Part 12 (ISO/IEC 23008-12).

My Samsung can also save photos in this format. The developers say it can save more information for the same size as jpeg then have a better quality for the same size.
I think this standards also define HEVC video format in ISO/IEC 23008-2 (MPEG-H part 2)

1 Like

viewnior , eog and xviewer can open heic files with libheif installed. It is strange that libheif is not optional dependency for these viewers.

My preferred image viewer is shotwell and it doesn't support HEIF yet. Opened a ticket:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by