One single Snap app is like 1.4Gb on disk. Does this Snap app has dependencies out of the Snap package...?

Hello,

If you know about Snaps, how they work etc than could you please tell me if you think these three packages in the screenshot (linked) belong to each other as kinda “dependencies” and they came together, installed together when I installed TWILIO AUTHY? I thought that Snaps are packages including all dependencies inside.

Just because I installed Authy on the 6th of October thats for sure (because Authy is available only as Snap…) and those other two has the same install date but I have not installed them, neither I want them…

My /snap/ folder is already 1.4Gb (!!!) just because of these three Snap apps here, pratctically I could say that my Authy (2 factor auth) app is like 1.4Gb in Snap!

Please advise

Screenshot, 2020-10-07 22:40:12 - Paste.Pics

What i wonder is how (theoretically) 298,6MB turns into 1.4GB…

Let’s see what’s in that folder:
du -hd 2 /snap

PS : Just helping to provide information since i don’t use Snaps.

1 Like

Because you need them.
You need the gnome themes and runtimes as SNAPs to run your GTK SNAP.
At least thats how it looks to me.

Their libs and such … but theres a bit of difference for things like a whole ‘stack’. that snap (or certain snaps) are using.

Ex see this:

And this:

Yup. SNAP takes a lot of space.
In this case, for example, if you are using GNOME already, and then you have these snaps … you are close to having gnome installed twice. And that can balloon much larger. Such is les snaps.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks.

The output of the command is:
4.0K /snap

See a screenshot here_
Screenshot, 2020-10-07 23:37:35 - Paste.Pics

It should output more than a single line…

Oh. PS.
You can also see how much SNAP is slowing down your boot (which will get worse the more you add)

systemd-analyze blame
1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed answers and the links too.

OMG! So than Snap is worse than Windows what I have just left behind. I already hate Snaps and dont want them at all. The same app is like less than 100Mb normally if not 50Mb. It is like that on my phone…

And I am on KDE not Gnome so this is totally unwanted and silly, waste of everything as it is.

Anyone is working on making Authy app in AUR or for the official repo?

Here it is:

1 aur/authy 1.8.3-1 (+20 6.58) 
    Two factor authentication desktop application

( AUR (en) - authy )

I wouldnt go that far. Its still a powerful technology, and at least it has frozen state files, and isolation (if configured correctly). Some people really like it, and the idea isnt entirely terrible. I dont want to use it. And I think there are better options for the same job. But lets not go calling it windoze :wink:

:smiley: But it did not :smiley: You can see in the screenprint at the link :slight_smile: Or the terminal is not compatible with me :slight_smile:

OMG than I am blind or so. I havent found in the App Store (Pamac) and AUR is on for me OR maybe I was just too scared from installing a login authenticator from AUR when the Authy dev had a Snap on its website… I dont clearly remember why I went for the Snap.

After this trauma, I wanna get rid of Snaps forever now and disable it in my App Store.

You should be able to just uninstall your snaps, and then uninstall snap itself (snapd maybe plus friends).

You may also want to disable the service, which depending on if its apparmor version or not would be:

systemctl disable --now snapd.apparmor.service

or

systemctl disable --now snapd.service

Pretty sure you wouldnt need to turn snaps ‘off’ in pamac after that.
But you could go into preferences to double-check.

2 Likes

Okay, I hear you, got your point. Yeah I have read that Flatpaks may be a better option if you have to choose, if you have the option to choose. But 1.4Gb for a 50Mb app… Who wants slow systems and such…

I generally find flatpak or appimage to be preferable for those things.
(though I dont use those either … so I guess thats just theoretical)

3 Likes

Thank you for this info so much! I have checked its boot speed effect and the result is TERRIFYING, seriously. This simple "50Mb) 2 factor Authy app (Snap package) adds 2.2 seconds to my boot time! And this is the fastest ever 4k random read OEM SSD (only Optane is faster).
Okay I am getting rid of this Snap package as it right now, for good and forever of any Snaps. I will rather always risk the AUR if there is no official Manjaro package or Flatpak, rather than any Snaps.

Summary
4.056s NetworkManager-wait-online.service                                                       
 967ms systemd-logind.service                                                                   
 732ms lvm2-monitor.service                                                                     
 611ms dev-nvme0n1p2.device                                                                     
 532ms tlp.service                                                                              
 470ms apparmor.service                                                                         
 428ms var-lib-snapd-snap-core18-1885.mount                                                     
 427ms var-lib-snapd-snap-snapd-9279.mount                                                      
 423ms var-lib-snapd-snap-gnome\x2d3\x2d28\x2d1804-128.mount                                    
 408ms var-lib-snapd-snap-authy-5.mount                                                         
 385ms systemd-modules-load.service                                                             
 383ms var-lib-snapd-snap-gtk\x2dcommon\x2dthemes-1506.mount                                    
 304ms systemd-random-seed.service                                                              
 302ms upower.service                                                                           
 288ms ldconfig.service                                                                         
 281ms systemd-journal-flush.service                                                            
 259ms systemd-udevd.service                                                                    
 255ms systemd-journald.service                                                                 
 215ms systemd-timesyncd.service                                                                
 212ms snapd.service                                                                            
 179ms dev-loop1.device                                                                         
 158ms systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                                                           
 153ms dev-loop4.device                                                                         
 149ms dev-loop0.device                                                                         
 148ms systemd-sysusers.service                                                                 
 138ms dev-loop2.device                                                                         
 138ms dev-loop3.device                                                                         
 134ms mnt-BACKUP.mount                                                                         
 117ms org.cups.cupsd.service                                                                   
 116ms systemd-udev-trigger.service                                                             
 103ms systemd-remount-fs.service                                                               
  92ms boot-efi.mount                                                                           
  84ms ModemManager.service                                                                     
  80ms user@1000.service                                                                        
  77ms systemd-binfmt.service                                                                   
  52ms udisks2.service                                                                          
  45ms polkit.service                                                                           
  34ms NetworkManager.service                                                                   
  28ms avahi-daemon.service                                                                     
  26ms snapd.apparmor.service                                                                   
  21ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-7576\x2d59AB.service                                    
  18ms systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-cf4c01eb\x2d7117\x2d4d41\x2dba2a\x2d6d4e44ba60a4.service
  15ms pamac-daemon.service                                                                     
  14ms systemd-journal-catalog-update.service                                                   
  13ms systemd-tmpfiles-clean.service                                                           
  12ms colord.service

Thx! Done. partially yet. 1.4Gb snapd folder disappeared as it is! :wink: I feel better.

Snap apps all gone and snapd package too is gone. Can I uninstall the snapd-glib too or shall I? And after future OS updates all these come back?

Oh yeah, that should be fine to remove too … I doubt anything else is relying on it.
(the same goes for pamac-snap-plugin)

No. Not unless snap somehow becomes a dep of something else (like they did in ubuntu to force you to use it) … but I dont see that happening here.

1 Like

:hugs: :grin: Fingers crossed! I am okay without Manjarobutu :slight_smile:

Okay, all deleted, snapd folder are history and the whole snap thing. like fresh air.

And snapd service is also hostory thanks to your pro commands and help! :slight_smile: This is now a “how to get rid of snapd” tutorial.

systemctl disable --now snapd.apparmor.service
Removed /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/snapd.apparmor.service.

pamac-snap-plugin wasnt installed for me, but the other things yes.

Ps.: Rebooting now. If I am not back for 24h than my OS has fallen into atoms and I am Googling how to load my Btrfs recovery snapshot from live USB. :smiley:

Ouuuh… So slooow on my system. Even after removing snapd. I installed Cinnamon several times but it’s my first attempt for KDE. Maybe I tried and tinkered too much, my system is stable but far from being optimised. I’ll backup and rebuild from scratch when I have time, following best practices.

1 Like

Dont forget to check the AUR PKGBUILD text as the U does mean USER

:slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.