Official Support for 32 bit UEFI boot in the 64 bit ISO of Manjaro

Hello!
Well there are many users with this problem of having a machine with this hybrid configuration having a 32bits bootloader with a 64bits Processor, typically hybrid tablet/computers with Intel Baytrail Processor...

As far as the 32bit version of Manjaro was supported, they could boot in that ISO because it had a 32bit uefi boot (and the 64 bit processor could work with the 32bit version, even if a bit underpowered....).

But now that the 32bit edition is depreciated, it would be so great to add 32bit UEFI boot in the 64bit isos of Manjaro!!!!
Deepin, Fedora, AltLinux, MxLinux, Debian, Mageia, all these distributions offer this 32bit UEFI boot for their 64bit editions!

And this hybrid architecture may become just more and more common as hybrid tablets fill the market!

Here is a list of posts from users all refering to this same problem:

2 Likes

I personally think those distros are viable alternatives to Manjaro.

The hardware issue will be gone with the respective hardware. No new machines are being built with 32bit UEFI. So why invest the effort in supporting it? Most of those tablets will be dysfunctional anyway even if Manjaro will boot on them - driver issues. You will probably have to run them with a USB keyboard and mouse.

Users if respective hardware will need to follow some tutorials, like that one, where you install grub-i386-efi from AUR and do it themselves.

However if someone comes along and writes the code for manjaro-tools to support 32bit UEFI it could get merged. Even the package grub-i386-efi from AUR might get built for Manjaro repo.

This is the most recent UEFI32 work-around procedure, as the old tutorials and guides get out of date fairly quickly. Here is another version for the Asus T100TA.

The main reason to support UEFI32 is that many of these old baytrails can't practically run Windows 10 anymore, but they are still fast enough for browsing, youtube, doc editing and email. Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba (and others) mass produced these win8.1/32 bit OS machines and they are ready for a second life with Linux. Fully loaded Linuxes barely run on 2GB of RAM, but there are still many desktops, WM, etc that run fine on these older machines whether in 32 bit or 64 bit. Grub install will work if the i386-efi folder is present and the liveUSB will boot if there is a suitable bootia32.efi present. That only leaves the efi detect function in grub.cfg (liveUSB) which used to work until around the 19 series Manjaro ISOs. The workaround above addresses that problem.

Do these baytrail machines truly need a rolling release distro? It depends on the priorities. For broader market share purposes - yes,
don't ignore a large base of older machines. Pragmatically, maybe not.

An external USB keyboard was needed for my T100CHI with a weird bluetooth OEM keyboard. But the T100CHI is just one of many Asus T100 models. The other T100s don't need an external keyboard/mouse for installation (or grub selections.) Driver issues are less common with recent kernels than they used to be and most can be resolved with a web search except for the camera.

(I'd add Sparky to that list)
It's hard to argue this point. The list used to be a lot longer, including Ubuntu 16.10. But most distros with a kernel 4.16 or newer can be modified to at least boot by adding bootia32.efi and the i386-efi folder to the liveUSB and it will have respectable baytrail support. A kernel 5.3 or newer is even better. Baytrail fixes and support are still be added to the kernels even into 5.8.

1 Like

Forum kindly sponsored by