OEM mode in Calamares

calamares

Hi all.

I’ve been playing around with the Ubuntu OEM installer a little and I was wondering if such a mode exists for Calamares?

I haven’t been able to find any mention of it on the Calamares github page.
So maybe it does not exist. If it does it could be a custom module or something.

What do you guys think?
Is an OEM mode possible with Calamares or is it something the Calamares devs needs to implement first?

Can you tell more about what is OEM mode and why is it desireable?

OEM mode is what menufactors install on the systems, where it, on first boot, sets up username, password, localizations etc, but where the system is actually already installed.

It would be desirable for people wanting to install manjaro on new computers for new users, where the user themselves finish the installation.

Oh, that would be very useful if we would want to someone to sell computers with preinstalled manjaro.

Or any other distro that uses Calamares for that matter. :slight_smile:

Just posted a feature request for it on thier github page.

So, kind of like the OEM mode that Ubuntu has on their live media that utilize a syslinux/ubiquity combo?

Exactly! :slight_smile:

It’s desirable because you can set up people’s computer according to their needs, and even calibrate the screen for them (which greatly improves its quality on most).

Then you give it to them and on first boot they shall choose their user name, password, location and stuff like that.

Seems stupid, but actually saves a lot of hassles. For example they won’t need to reconfigure the root password, which is needed when using Octopi under KDE. Or stand by you during the installation.

Simply put, it’s the simplest way to set up a computer for another person. They give it to you, you install it without their presence, and you just give it back to them.

Super necro bump but…

Does anyone know if anything has come of this?

The manjaro versions of the Bladebook and the Spitfires use a Calamares OEM mode, so it is implemented.

But it’s not something you can activate on a regular ISO. You either choose normal install or OEM install when you build the ISO. As far as I know.

I think only OEM is needed. The USB for partitioning and installing the base system, and then the user can choose to fill the particular configurations for their system.