ODROID N2 or ROCKPro64 4gb as Office Computer /w Manjaro XFCE

I'm thinking about using the ODROID N2 or ROCKPro64 4gb /w Manjaro XFCE. I'm wondering if this setup for basic office work is going to be sufficient? I'd be using 1080p monitors at max. I'm talking about:

• Libre Office Calc
  • Libre Office Writer
  • Scribus
  • Sigil
  • Chromium
  • Thunderbird
  • Dropbox
  • GIMP

If not I could go for a smaller "micro desktop" from Lenovo or something?

This sounds almost like a https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Forum_Rules#Product_Recommendation_Requests

It's really up to you to decide whether a particular system will provide the level of performance you want - noone else can do that for you.

Otherwise, for

pretty much anything made in the past 15 years (i.e. with a 64-bit CPU) will work just fine.

Short answer, yes. Both these devices will handle that, just fine. They are fairly equal in regards to specs.

Long answer: Actually meny ARM devices will do what you ask. The 2 you mentioned are great options, since they are in the higher end of what's available on the market right now.
My guess is, that it depends on your work flow.
May I suggest that you consider the Pinebook Pro (which is based on the RockPro64). It's a laptop for $199, that has a RockPro64 inside it to power it. It will be available for public pre-orders on the 25th of August. For that price you get the RockPro64, 64 GB eMMC, wifi/bt, screen, keyboard and touchpad, plus other stuff like webcam etc.

2 Likes

I an American that lives in Georgia (the country) and it's just depressing how much of nothing exists here. There's nothing online that refers to system usage while doing specific tasks or how well different SBCs could handle everyday tasks. Most of the videos on YouTube are people talking for 10+ minutes about nothing important and show no actual testing of Manjaro with the SBC.

1 Like

Wow, if you'r patient ... I mean it is going to be kinda slow

1 Like

I was thinking maybe a an SBC isn't good enough.

Watch this and I think ODROID N2 / ROCKPro64 would work. This guy is running on a Raspberry Pi 2.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b/

1gb to 4gb I think it would be much better especially since the Raspberry Pi was made in 2015. I think I'll get a ODROID N2 and test it out.

I can suggest you something that I have used that is Khadas Vim 3 with

• 2.2 Ghz Quad Core ARM Cortex-A73 and 1.8Ghz Dual Core Cortex A53 CPU
  • ARM G52 MP4 GPU up to 800Mhz

I think it is similar to N2 just 1.9Ghz and 2.2 Ghz is the difference. Go for 4GB RAM if you plan to use GIMP.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark