Octopi extremely difficult to use for colorblind people

Hey all - not sure if this is the right forum to post this. Hopefully it belongs here:

I'm running Manjaro 18.4(?) KDE with the default theme. Octopi shows a tiny graphic of an ethernet port beside each package, and differentiates installed from uninstalled packages by changing this graphic from "greenish" to "reddish."

I put those in quotes because for a long time I didn't realize it was changing the color AT ALL. I'm red/green colorblind, like roughly 10% of the male population, and have been having major issues with this. Here's an example (ignore the checkmark) :

octopi_hard

Due to the low saturation of the colors used, and the fact that these icons are tiny, I literally can't tell the difference between the two without sticking my face about 10cm from the screen and squinting. If I do that, I can vaguely see there are two different colors there but couldn't tell you which is which. I had to load this screenshot in Photoshop and use the eyedropper tool just to figure out if I had both colors represented!

This isn't pretty, but I had a go at making a "better" version:

octopi_medium

...if the red/green dichotomy must be kept, at least I could tell those apart.

On the other hand,

octopi_easy

Much, much better.

So yeah, I guess question 1 is, is there a way I could replace those icons myself without rebuilding the whole program or hex-editing some datafile?

And, question 2, is this something that should be fixed for everyone?

I'm interested to hear from other colorblind people on this - are you having the same problem, or is it "just me"? It seems like this is a pretty big usability issue that could be fixed, but maybe I'm just an edge case here.

Once again, roughly 10% of the male population are red/green blind, and 1% female, but it doesn't affect everyone in exactly the same way. Still, that's a lot of users potentially having trouble with this.

2 Likes

I think the idea of replacing the icons while not disrupting the normal 'green=go red=stop' dichotomy is a good compromise.

But the thing is .. theres lots I would like to change in octopi (like supported aur helpers) ... but it isnt a manjaro project.

You can submit bugs and proposals to the project here:

In the (hopefully near!) future all manjaro will use pamac .. as there is now pamac-cli, pamac-gtk, and pamac-qt (in development but very usable).
You might want to check out pamac and see if it is any better/worse for your needs.

6 Likes

Thanks, I submitted an issue to the project on Github. I figured the icons would have something to do with Manjaro's theming...

I'll have a look at Pamac-Qt, although I don't like to replace my package manager without good reason. Aside from the color scheme I didn't have any problem with Octopi (& I like it a hell of a lot better than, say, Yumex.) FWIW the colors shown here are much easier for me to read than Octopi's:
pamac-qt
IMHO it's worth keeping in mind as development continues.

1 Like

Entirely depends on the program. Some have hard-coded icons.
Others look for a certain icon on the system by a certain name - and then that depends on the theme.
And in that case they still might be able to opt for a better name structure or programatic solution.
etc.

Judging by the way octopi shows I'm guessing it doesnt much care about my icon theme.

1 Like

Pamac is much better than Octopi IMO. I also use Octopi for a few things as the both have strong and weak points On KDE you still might want to stick to the GTK version of pamac for now. The QT version is beta at best and still buggy. You can install both versions of Pamac without conflicts. Pamac all the way in my book. Much easier on your eyes I think you'll find.

I also am red-green blind, but it affects me a little differently: the example in xjas's opening post are clearly differentiable to me, BUT besides confusion with some shades of red and green, I have great difficulty with dark green vs dark brown, and all of these look similar (in similar darknesses): purple, blue,violet,indigo,mauve, etc.
And there are a few people who are totally colour blind, so icons etc should either be different darkness shades or (preferably) have a contrasting symbol overlaid or a different outline, so all can read easily. Colour unimpaired people probably would not notice the change as they would focus on the colour.
I am aware that there are also many people with other types of visual difficulties, some require special fonts or colours to read, but I think these fonts are readily available, so as long as all icons and fonts are configurable all should be fine.
ps: some board games now have tokens/cards that besides a colour difference, have some symbol in the corner. This type of thing is an enourmous help (nothing worse than playing a red pick-up-2 on a green card in UNO!!)

You know that's a good point. I try to usually provide a way to change colors in my software...but sometimes I forget. My grandfather had a terrible time at stop lights. I had a teacher who couldn't see orange cones on green grass. It is just so natural for us who don't have this problem to go with the green-go-good, red-stop-bad colors we are so used to. 8.5-10% of the population is a significant number of people. Heh heh...red alert! (But maybe they solved the problem by the 25th century.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.