No Plymouth theme at start-up?

I installed manjaro a few weeks ago (coming from Ubuntu). I noticed that the boot splash looks a bit strange when I start the computer. It only shows three white dots on a black (or dark grey) background. No animation or anything like that (see attached pictures).

Is this behaviour intentional, or is there something wrong with my configuration (I did the installation via the live system and did not make any changes to the configuration.

The file mkinitcpio.conf has no entry under “modules”.

# MODULES
# The following modules are loaded before any boot hooks are
# run.  Advanced users may wish to specify all system modules
# in this array.  For instance:
# MODULES=(piix ide_disk reiserfs)
MODULES=""

During my research, I saw that the graphics driver should actually be specified there. Is this not done automatically?

The command lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display' gives the following:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV635/M86 [Mobility Radeon HD 3650]
	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30e7
	Kernel driver in use: radeon
	Kernel modules: radeon

Any idea why the boot splash is not displayed?

It is not done automatically, so you should add it to the modules list. I think the module is named radeon for your card.
Remember to run sudo mkinitcpio -P after you change anything in the config.

What is the right syntax?

Do I have to write it like that

MODULES="radeon"

or differently?

One last question: Are there any plans to automate this entry in a later release of the Manjaro installer to improve the out-of-the-box experience?

The syntax is written as an example, just above the MODULES line.
It’s MODULES=(radeon)

No idea about the plans for this in the future.

Made the change. Worked wonderfully. Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.