Nvidia utils update causing no boot

If that is removed I can’t get past root clean on boot screen.

The reinstall the video-nvidia and remove video-vesa.

kernel 5.19.0_rt10-3
Everything was running fine till last update then nvidia drivers caused a no-boot issue stuck at root clean.
Switching kernels results gives “mount: /sys/firmware/efi/efivars: unknown filesystem type ‘efivarfs’”
I just want to switch to a stable Ls kernel. I don’t have a dual boot so why the efi?

Hi @bearthly,

You can always install a new kernel from a chroot environment.

That’s possibly the only way, and very much the only way I know if. But, I don’t know about that error as I’ve never dealt with it before.

Edit:

I suspect you’ll also have to repair GRUB. Which you need to do from the chroot environment.

Edit #2:

Just saw the thread being moved here so just want to say: you’re in good hands here, so I’m out.

Edit #3:

Just saw this, it might help:

My structure is…
Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2 1050624 105498623 104448000 49.8G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p3 105498624 976768031 871269408 415.5G Linux filesystem

Ok, here’s the latest so far. I’ve narrowed it down to the upgrade process and the issue appears to be not with the nvidia drivers but the removal of a driver that the update says needs to be removed. here is the output:
To upgrade (3):
libxnvctrl 520.56.06-1 (515.76-1) extra
nvidia-utils 520.56.06-2 (515.76-1) extra
lib32-nvidia-utils 520.56.06-1 (515.76-1) multilib
To remove (1):
linux60-rt-nvidia 515.76-2 community
…how can I force upgrade and NOT remove “linux60-rt-nvidia?”

I am troubleshooting some driver conflict. I’ve narrowed it down to a driver update automatically including a removal of a driver that I want to keep for troubleshooting. How can I force the update to not remove it?
I understand this is a general question but if I give specifics it will further complicate the issue.

But without specifics people can’t hand you a solution for your specific problem…

1 Like

You need to change something.

I know this is a general answer, but if I was more specific it will further complicate things.

Isn’t that what troubleshooting is all about? Let me rephrase then. When installing a package or upgrading how can I ignore the dependency conflict by not removing a package that it suggests should be removed?

Now that is a well formed specific question :+1:
Unfortunatly, i have to hand it down to the others who are more wizzards when it comes to pacman :woman_shrugging:

Indeed. @bearthly I merged your new thread into your current one that contains the context. Please don’t create new topics with vague information. You will not receive the help you need and will waste the time of volunteers attempting to help.

Your mirrors are out of date leaving you in an unsupported partial upgrade state. 520.56.06-1 is no longer in the repos. 525.60.11-1 is the current version.

Update your mirrors and do a full update. You will also receive an update from linux60-rt-nvidia 515.76-1 > 525.60.11-1.

It seems linux60-rt-nvidia 520.56.06-1 was forgotten along the way and never existed. :grimacing:

Probably because no one ever uses that? :stuck_out_tongue: I wonder if OP even knows why he has RT kernel installed.

<side-note>
I was just wondering the same, but more in the sense of “What benefit did he get vs the non RT version” :thinking:

I got excited there for a minute.
this was the result:
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing nvidia-utils (520.56.06-2) breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils=515.76’ required by linux60-rt-nvidia
if i do the update first it removes “linux60-rt-nvidia” and it boots and gets stuck on the root clean screen.
if i try and install an older stable kernel it says there’s a conflict with linux60-rt-nvidia and doesn’t install the kernel. I am stuck now on kernel 6.0.5_rt14-2
I’m thinking if there was a way to update the nvidia packages without removing “linux60-rt-nvidia” I believe this would bring me a step closer to understanding the issue. I think removing this package is causing the issue.

The result of what? Please post the full output including the command you used.

What branch are you currently using?

pacman-mirrors -G

If you want to upgrade the NVIDIA driver you need to switch (back) to unstable. If you do not, then switch to testing or stable then perform a full upgrade allowing downgrades to match the packages in that branch:

sudo pacman -Syuu

Ain’t you able to switch to a text console using CTRL+ALT+F2->F10 :thinking:
You should be able to perform the rest of the upgrade via terminal that way i think…

I’ll try that however there won’t be anything left to update.

the result was from “sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack && sudo pacman -Syu”

That was AWESOME! Switched to unstable then did the -Syuu and it looked like the matrix!
Everything is up to date, no conflicts. I will attempt to downgrade to a stable kernel, 5.15
Should I change branch to stable first?

Downgrades can only be done on the same package. Every X.Y kernel is a different, standalone package. You need to remove old ones yourself. And don’t install RT kernels if you don’t know what they are for.