Nvidia-settings did not get installed

I am using nvidia proprietary drivers. Everything seems to be fine (I even use CUDA to run molecular dynamics simulations every so often), but nvidia-settings is not installed, I want to switch to using nvidia instead of the integrated GPU but can’t.

Here is the output of mhwd -li:

> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2023.03.23               false            PCI

the result of nvidia-smi:

Sun Jul 23 04:28:18 2023       
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| NVIDIA-SMI 535.54.03              Driver Version: 535.54.03    CUDA Version: 12.2     |
|-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
| GPU  Name                 Persistence-M | Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
| Fan  Temp   Perf          Pwr:Usage/Cap |         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
|                                         |                      |               MIG M. |
|=========================================+======================+======================|
|   0  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650        Off | 00000000:01:00.0  On |                  N/A |
| N/A   47C    P8               1W /  50W |     46MiB /  4096MiB |      7%      Default |
|                                         |                      |                  N/A |
+-----------------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Processes:                                                                            |
|  GPU   GI   CI        PID   Type   Process name                            GPU Memory |
|        ID   ID                                                             Usage      |
|=======================================================================================|
|    0   N/A  N/A       635      G   /usr/lib/Xorg                                45MiB |

How can i get nvidia-settings ? Or is there any alternative way of switching to nvidia ?

Thanks.

Install it like any other package. It’s an optional dependency of nvidia-utils.

Im not sure that nvidia-settings can even do what you want.
Though … what is that exactly?
You currently have PRIME configured and running well?

glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'
prime-run glxinfo | grep 'renderer string'

You would like to use nvidia for everything (and maybe also disable the iGPU entirely)?

pamac install nvidia-settings
error: target not found: nvida-settings

pacman -Sy nvidia-settings
error: target not found: nvida-settings

glxinfo | grep ‘renderer string’
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (CFL GT2)

prime-run glxinfo | grep ‘renderer string’
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2

I want to switch to using nvidia instead of intel.

Please do not install packages this way.
It will lead to partial-upgrade state … which is bad.

This shows PRIME working well.
You can use the nvidia card when you call it with prime-run.

Please advise if you were aware of this and truly wish to switch to nvidia-only.

I suppose I can say already - in many cases that is not preferred.
Intel is more compatible with many things and your iGPU will consume less resources, less power, and it is generally a performance betterment to have, for example, your desktop run on the intel and your game run on the nvidia.

But if you truly desire to use nvidia only … your first look in that case should be to check BIOS. It isnt very common … but if you are lucky you will have an option there to disable the iGPU entirely … after which you can return to your desktop and select the nvidia drivers.

If that is not available some other options exist such as ‘reverse-prime’.

Oh no, I just want to use it for a limited time only, for the current session only for example, if prime-run will enable nvidia for a speciifc app for example, then this is what I need, Thank you

Yeah thats the gist of it.

Heres some resources to expand on if you need them.

Configure Graphics Cards - Manjaro

PRIME - ArchWiki

Thanks a lot, I clearly need to read the resources.

No worries.
We all always have more to read, methinks. :slight_smile:
Anyhoo … I hope all works well for you.
Of course “come on back” if not.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.