Nvidia RTX 3080Ti + Intel i7 12700K

Hey.
I have a new Omen 17 Laptop with Nvidia RTX 3080Ti + Intel i7 12700K. Since I use my laptop for work I wanted to install Manjaro. I picked the newest Manjaro with KDE.

First issue I experienced was that it was impossible to start the live USB with a propertiary drivers option. It just froze displaying the Omen logo.

I did a reboot and it helped to start the live USB with free drivers, I was able to completely install the new system. Everything went well until I did a next reboot after installing the propertiary drivers using mhwd. After that the kernel just hangs, prompt does not blink. I attach the screenshot from boot sequence.

i imgur com/fyeNPBD.jpg ( sorry I can’t post images nor links, replace space with dots )

I can’t open the terminal with CTRL + ALT + F2-7, it just dies.

I have tried a newest NVIDIA driver from official nvidia site but it doesn’t even complete the installation, it mentions memory violation at line 801.

try adding the ibt parameter;
open this file:
kate /etc/default/grub
and in this line: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT inside the quotes add this parameter:
ibt=off
dont remove anything from there!, just add it to existing parameters, save the file, update grub:
sudo update-grub

install the nvidia drivers:
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
and if there are errors post them here, if not, reboot

1 Like

Yeah, that actually helps.

But now I’m struggling with 20 other bugs. Like if I turn off Laptop’s screen, the external one will run on 1 FPS, mouse cursor runs fine, but entire system is super laggy.

Also when I reboot the system with Displayport cable connected - after I log in into the desktop, all icons are invisible including bottom KDE’s bar which remains clickable.

Ummm nooo, I think that Linux is not ready for such setup yet, I can’t provide professional services on such buggy software.

Thank you for your support, but I think that I will refund this machine.

I bring good tidings :pancakes:. I was having the same issue on my omen machine. Found solution I took from another post from the user Omano. I installed kernel LTS 5.15 (was on 6.1.1 aka rust variant aka the devil), booted into 5.15 kernel, then installed the nvidia-driver, reboot, done! Also I don’t know if it made a difference, but I installed the NVIDIA driver from the Manjaro Settings Manager- after I installed and booted into 5.15. I hope this helps someone. No need to mess with those settings!

Small edit: I don’t know if your situation is the same anymore considering the performance being dramatically different. Sorry for getting hopes up.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.