NVIDIA kernel driver not installed during 2026-08-06 Stable Update

This is the first time I have experienced the NVIDIA driver not being installed automatically during a system upgrade.

I had to install linux618-nvidia manually after this upgrade.
This was disappointing because the system became unusable with the NVIDIA driver after rebooting.

nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver.
Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

sudo modprobe nvidia
modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia not found in directory /lib/modules/6.18.42-1-MANJARO

I fixed the problem by installing the kernel-specific NVIDIA package manually:

sudo pacman -S linux618-nvidia

Then I loaded the NVIDIA DRM modules:

sudo modprobe nvidia_drm
sudo modprobe nvidia_modeset

After that:

lsmod | grep '^nvidia'

nvidia_drm       151552      0
nvidia_modeset  1818624      1 nvidia_drm
nvidia_uvm      2363392      0
nvidia        118972416      3 nvidia_uvm,nvidia_drm,nvidia_modeset

nvidia-smi also works again.

It seems to me that, on systems already using the NVIDIA driver, linux618-nvidia should be installed automatically when Linux 6.18 is installed during the system upgrade.