NVIDIA GPU running 390xx drivers not being used in any software

I can’t confirm anything and already wasted weeks on my friend’s issue with his GT 210 card (don’t really want to dig in his computer to troubleshoot it now that I fixed it), but I ended up installing manually from these instructions here [Support/How-To] Compile old/legacy Nvidia Proprietary Drivers [2020-12-30 Update Issue] the 340 drivers to have a fully working video card in all software. I don’t know what the issue is but with the 390 drivers his computer was acting weird. I don’t know what’s going on but I suspect the 390 drivers are not installing/working properly.

For your issue, first things first, provide your system info this is the bare minimum to start a support thread: How to provide good information

I included some logs now, maybe it can help, let me know if anything else would help
Thanks for the tip!

Drivers seem to be installed.
I checked on my side and in the OpenGL Info application, I have Nvidia and not MESA in the DRIVER section so this may indicate the issue.

OK not really helping, but you’re using the 5.9 RT kernel (any reason you’re using a Real Time kernel?). I would first suggest you to install the 5.4 LTS kernel (not the RT). Then reboot on this kernel and see if this changes something, I think the 390 Nvidia drivers work with 5.4 and 5.10, not sure with other kernels.

Ok I will try that and post it when i’m done, I’m using the kernel that came with my installation

Weird I don’t know any Manjaro edition that installs a RT kernel. Anyway if you don’t have usage for a RT kernel don’t use that.

PS: manage Kernels from the Manjaro Settings application, in the Kernel menu. You can’t remove a running kernel so if you want to clean it up, first reboot on the 5.4 kernel.

wait you cant remove a running kernel? ummmm I just did that xD

WTF this is not possible in theory. How did you remove it (it is off topic but this is absolutely to be fixed regarding what you’re replying)?

Make sure to install a kernel from Manjaro Settings before rebooting… mamamia :fearful:

//EDIT: ok you actually can from Manjaro Settings, almost sure you ciuldn’t before, let ignore this for now but I’m gonna investigate/report.

I rebooted and x.org isnt working now and I accessed the command line what do I do xD
At least I’m on the correct kernel

Output of startx:

First don’t panic. You have access to the forum so you’re good.

from terminal then I would remove and reinstall the video drivers with mhwd command

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-390xx

I would make sure everything is up to date

sudo pacman -Syyu

I would reinstall nvidia drivers

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

1 Like

Nice it came back hahaha

I think you messed up your system when you removed your running kernel it probably removed nvidia packages too lol. To be fair I said INSTALL 5.4, I didn’t say REMOVE 5.9 :wink:

Now I think it is correct, but it still says Mesa/X.org on OpenGL information
Just tested a game and still same results

At this point I’m not sure what would be the best thing to do, first try your games and apps to see if the situation is the same on Kernel 5.4. //EDIT ok it is same.

Regarding my recent experience with drivers 390, I personally would remove them from Manjaro Settings, at this point DO NOT REBOOT, then I would follow the instructions to install the 340 drivers, and after properly installing 340 I would reboot (only at this point) and see if there is a difference now. If you have proper performance with 340, then my experience and yours could lead to more people looking into 390 to see if everything is OK in these drivers provided by Manjaro. I suspect they have issues. If it is the same then… need more :brain: to chime in.

If you don’t have the patience to remove/reinstall maybe wait for someone else to have better suggestion :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ok, thanks for your time and I will be trying to install 340 drivers :slight_smile:

It worked, apparently 390xx drivers are broken
Thank you so much
:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

OK thanks for confirming your experience. I kinda recall something along the lines of “390 was cut down from some modules to work with current kernels” or something like that, but I can’t find a thread about this vague memory, maybe that’s the issue if I recall correctly.

Will update you on the topic if/when I have more info, I will try to have Manjaro team to investigate.

Ok thank you so much,
I always get blown away as how good the Linux community is :slight_smile:

And I’m one of the morons, so imagine how wonderful it is lol.

:joy:

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like that for me xD

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.