Nvidia GK104 not working after update to latest packages, KDE, Elitebook HP 8770w - SOLVED

update
kde
nvidia
sound
broken

#1

Hi all,

I can’t find the right section for this so if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it.

If you need any more info please ask and I’ll provide it. I can’t currently update my pc as it breaks the sound output through the displayport HDMI adapter. I watch HD / Bluray / 4K movies on the tv with the pc.

I have repeated this issue with manjaro kde-17.1.12-stable-x86_64.iso and manjaro-kde-18.0-stable-x86_64.iso installations and upgrades.

17.1.12 has been flawless on this laptop from installation until last weeks update -Syu (with no errors) then Nvidia GK104 HDMI/Displayport sound output profile options appear as OFF. Using pavucontrol the GK104 shows as not connected and not available. Rebooting doesn’t solve it.

I used kernels 4.19.0-3-MANJARO x86_64 and also 4.14.85-1 with the same result, no GK104 profile option after the update.

I repeated the same update after a clean install of manjaro kde-18.0-stable yesterday and Nvidia GK104 HDMI/Displayport sound output is working after the install. When I run -Syu (with no errors) then Nvidia GK104 HDMI/Displayport sound output profile options appear as OFF. Using pavucontrol the GK104 shows as not connected and not available. Rebooting doesn’t solve it.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this or how to fix it please?
thanks,
Hoppy

– inxi -Fxz

System:    Host: fse1 Kernel: 4.19.0-3-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.14.2 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP EliteBook 8770w v: 
: <filter> 
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 176C v: KBC Version 50.1C serial: <filter> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: 68IAV Ver. F.43 
           date: 10/08/2013 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 56.8 Wh condition: 60.4/60.4 Wh (100%) model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Unknown 
           ID-2: BAT1 charge: 82.0 Wh condition: 83.2/83.2 Wh (100%) model: Hewlett-Packard Travel status: Charging 
           Device-1: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech M570 charge: 85% status: Discharging 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-3630QM bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 L2 cache: 6144 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 38333 
           Speed: 1216 MHz min/max: 1200/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1197 2: 1197 3: 1197 4: 1209 5: 1197 6: 1199 7: 1199 
           8: 1196 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GK104GLM [Quadro K3000M] vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: nvidia v: 410.73 bus ID: 01:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.3 driver: nvidia resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Quadro K3000M/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 410.73 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1b.0 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK104 HDMI Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.0-3-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 6040 
           bus ID: 00:19.0 
           IF: enp0s25 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 5000 bus ID: 25:00.0 
           IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.81 TiB used: 747.18 GiB (40.3%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM048-2E7172 size: 931.51 GiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD7500BPVT-00HXZT1 size: 698.64 GiB 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc model: OSC mSATA 240GB size: 223.57 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 25.00 GiB used: 6.74 GiB (27.0%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdc3 
           ID-2: /home size: 98.00 GiB used: 74.34 GiB (75.9%) fs: btrfs dev: /dev/sdb3 
           ID-3: swap-1 size: 64.00 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb4 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 39 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:      Processes: 267 Uptime: 23h 55m Memory: 31.35 GiB used: 3.31 GiB (10.6%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 
           Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 inxi: 3.0.27

#2

Check for new configurations with

sudo pacdiff

#3

There are a number of regressions in the Nvidia 415* driver series at the moment. They are being fixed slowly.

A Kepler card should work fine with the 390* drivers which may be worth trying in the meantime - that means you can have an up-to-date system, and test 415* as new versions are released.


#4

Hi Petsam,

I’ll try the pacdiff and see how it works out, thanks. I’ll report back over the next 2 days or so


#5

Hi Jonathon,

Finally managed to get the drivers swapped over to 390 and now in plasma. Will report once I can plug in an HDMI/DP cable - which will probably be tomorrow night.

:+1::sunglasses:


#6

I meant to say thanks for the help as well. Thanks :+1:

UPDATE:
That fixed it! I found a TV to test on. Thanks for the help. I tried to go back to 390 but I didn’t manage it previously.

Working now :grin::+1::+1::sunglasses::sunglasses: