first uninstall this:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime
reboot
then provide output from:
pacman -Qs nvidia
pacman -Qs optimus
find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"

Sorry for taking long to respond!

So trying the first command it told me that it would break dependencies for nvidia-dkms (which I had downloaded following guides for my original problem of getting games to work). I removed it and replaced it with the non-dkms package then uninstalled. Don’t know how consequential that is, but realized I forgot to mention I was ever using the dkms package, so there you go.

pacman -Qs nvidia
local/egl-wayland 2:1.1.10-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/ffnvcodec-headers 11.1.5.1-2
    FFmpeg version of headers required to interface with Nvidias codec APIs
local/lib32-libvdpau 1.5-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/lib32-opencl-nvidia 515.57-1
    OpenCL implemention for NVIDIA (32-bit)
local/libvdpau 1.5-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/mhwd-nvidia 515.57-1
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 515.57
local/mhwd-nvidia-390xx 390.151-2
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 390.151
local/mhwd-nvidia-470xx 470.129.06-1
    MHWD module-ids for nvidia 470.129.06
local/opencl-nvidia 515.57-1
    OpenCL implemention for NVIDIA

pacman -Qs optimus had no output…

find /etc/X11/ -name "*.conf"
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-touchpad.conf

so remove also these, to get rid off nvidia:
sudo pacman -R ffnvcodec-headers lib32-opencl-nvidia opencl-nvidia
then reboot and in bios check if you have there some settings related to your gpu, that it is disabled or something like that

Alright
I uninstalled those packages, and the only GPU related setting I could easily find in my BIOS was for hybrid support, so that’s disabled now.

so install them again:
sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300
reboot and check with inxi -G if the nvidia driver is detected

Now it’s getting stuck at /dev/nvme0n1p9: clean, #/# files, #/# blocks (# being actual numbers of course) when booting.

probably because of the bios setting, so enable it again and see if you can boot normally

Now boot is freezing at a seemingly random point but usually shortly after [FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules.

can you enter into tty: ctrl+alt+f2 - or f1-f6 and check with: mhwd -li if it installed the prime hybrid drivers?

I was not able to enter into any tty but I was able to boot to runlevel 3. It appears to have installed the drivers.

> Installed PCI configs:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
Warning: No installed USB configs!

ok so remove them again:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime
reboot and then post output from:
mhwd -l

> 0000:01:00.0 (0300:10de:2560) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
          video-nvidia            2021.12.18               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> 0000:00:02.0 (0300:8086:9a60) Display controller Intel Corporation:
video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-470xx-prime            2021.12.18               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

so the proper drivers were installed… so install them again, reboot and switch to the 5.15 kernel…

Everything is working on the 5.15 kernel, thanks my dude! I guess I just stay on LTS kernel from now on?

thats probably better… and its also detected in inxi -G?

Yep!

Device-2: NVIDIA GA106M [GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile / Max-Q] driver: nvidia
    v: 515.57

and what about these ?

Ah I should’ve been clearer. “Everything is working” as in all that and your potential shrine in my closet for fixing my dumb issue. It does suck everything can’t just work on the latest everything but I should’ve expected such.
I’m guessing now is the right time to mark your post about switching kernel version as solution.

So it turns out the issue was because of Intel’s Indirect Branch Tracking feature. In case anybody with the same issue stumbles across my threat out of all the others for some reason, I’m going to make this a slightly more comprehensive solution reply:
The first solution is what brahma recommended, and what I did originally, which is to use a sub 5.18 kernel version.
The other solution is to add ibt=off to the kernel boot parameters (I used the graphical tool “grub-customizer” for this) for 5.18 grub/whatever you use entries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.