Files manager super slow to start (20+ seconds)

Hi all,

Something changed recently on my system and now every graphical files manager I try start super slowly (evince as well).

thunar, nautilus, pantheon-files but not ranger.

I guess it’s waiting for something to start but I don’t know what and how to check.

Thanks a lot

(I’m running manjaro openbox)

Does the rest of the system start quickly? Concerned you may have a failing drive. I’d check dmesg logs to see if you have any messages during that time.

This is usually related to network shares - perhaps a bookmark to a network share …

Thanks for your answers.

I don’t have any remote share bookmarked ( we talkng about adding folder to the left pane right?)

I did sudo dmesg --follow -H when launching thunar, nothing out of interrest. variation of :

[ +0.005868] audit: type=1105 audit(1608795271.248:286): pid=10033 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=1 msg=‘op=PAM:session_open grantors=pam_limits,pam_unix,pam_permit acct=“root” exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? terminal=/dev/pts/4 res=success’

Tested my drive with smartctl and it passed the test.

Thunar has been the default filemanager on Openbox ISO and I know there is (has been) infrequent issues with Thunar being slow to start.

With no intentionally relation to the above - but more as an effort to create a true minimal ISO the most recent version of Openbox ISO has PCManFM (gtk3) onboard.

I have not had any issues for a long time neither using Thunar nor PCManFM.

I’ve digged deeper using other search term and found this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1161928/nautilus-files-app-takes-long-time-to-start-on-ubuntu-18-04

I had installed gnome-builder the other day, which installed flatpak which installed xdg-desktop-portal-gtk. I’ve removed everything (coz dependencies) and my system is usable again.

For less drastic solution add te following to .xinitrc or .xsession

dbus-update-activation-environment --systemd DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY XAUTHORITY

source :

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=224787

OK - so nothing wrong with Manjaro - but a self-inflicted problem - that happens - quite often.

yep, dealing with all those environment break stuff some times.

thanks for helping

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.