NVIDIA broke their 3000 series graphics cards on Linux with a recent update

When applying a solution, do you understand what it does, and where the issue came from?

None of the tty terminals work at all to my knowledge. I have very little knowledge about what is causing the problem. I’m currently starting fresh again from the bootable drive. Running sudo pacman -Syyu and that’s it so far.

so if tty doesnt work, you probably affected with the latest nvidia drivers bug, that causes the 3000 series cards not to boot…
so boot into manjaro live usb, connect to internet and chroot by running this command:
manjaro-chroot -a
and provide output from:
mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l && mhwd -li

1 Like

Ahh yes that sounds like what it is. Ok I have a fairly slow internet, and the sudo pacman -Syyu command is about 40 percent finished. It’ll take a bit before it finishes. I will reconvene with that output you requested as soon as I am able. Give me 30 minutes or so.

and you running the syyu command in the live usb?

No I did a fresh install on the main SSD and ran the command in there. ~50% complete now. You can see why doing this 5 times has taken me 3 days xD

ok i see, so you are right now in your installation, so you dont have to boot into usb, you can just install the 470xx drivers after you finished with syyu…

I did this on a previous occasion and it broke. I was thinking maybe I should try rebooting it without the drivers to begin with, to see if anything in the sudo pacman -Syyu command breaks the OS. Then if it didn’t I was going to install the drivers and reboot again to see if it broke.

(Then I was thinking of switching to the live environment and running your commands :wink: )

open new terminal window and post output from:
mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l && mhwd -li

Copy that.

Here is the output:

mhwd-kernel -li && mhwd -l && mhwd -li                                                         ✔ 
Currently running: 5.15.60-1-MANJARO (linux515)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux515
> 0000:2d:00.0 (0300:10de:2216) Display controller nVidia Corporation:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          video-nvidia            2021.11.04               false            PCI
    video-nvidia-470xx            2021.11.04               false            PCI
           video-linux            2018.05.04                true            PCI
     video-modesetting            2020.01.13                true            PCI
            video-vesa            2017.03.12                true            PCI

> Installed PCI configs:
                  NAME               VERSION          FREEDRIVER           TYPE
          video-nvidia            2021.11.04               false            PCI

Warning: No installed USB configs!

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

so when you done with the syyu command, remove video-nvidia:
sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia
and install this:
sudo mhwd -i pci video-nvidia-470xx
reboot

Yes boss.

Will let you know how it goes. :slight_smile:

Just a side note:

If you do this, you will end up with an unusable machine, there’s no two way about it. Manjaro requires you to keep it up-to-date. Read this, it’ll help:

Also, never install updates blindly. Keep an eye on the #announcements section for your branch. There is an announcement, with a list of gotchas and fixes before every #announcements:unstable-updates, #announcements:testing-updates and #announcements:stable-updates.

Hey Mirdarthos, I appreciate your honest response I really do, but I think things like this are what turn people off Linux if I’m honest.

The OS needs to be stable eventually, or people will just never use it in large numbers. Most people haven’t got time to futz around with forums and console commands to keep their computers running, which is probably why Microsoft has such a large market share of desktop computers.

The system being unstable when you do and don’t update it is not a good thing, and it shouldn’t stay that way forever.

It is possible to keep a stable system but it is not for casual user.

Maintaining a GNU/Linux system on bleeding edge requires dedication and willingnes to learn from your mistakes.

I have one system running on Arch testing - no issues for a month.

One essential is - do not stray from upstream theming - custom themes and extensions are the major cause of incidents when syncing system packages.

1 Like

If you’d rather like a fixed-release system, similar to Windows’ updates, look at Ubuntu LTS.

Manjaro is a (Curated) Rolling release. So it is, indeed, going to be more…DIY. Sure, it’s user-friendly, but it’s also still suitable for more advanced users. That’s just how it is.

1 Like

Hi brahma.

This appears to have worked. The computer successfully rebooted for the first time in quite a while lol. Thanking you kindly.

dont forget to switch to the latest nvidia drivers, when the bug gets fixed - propably with the next stable update - so that you use the latest drivers with this new hardware

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.