Nvidia 450 driver installation broken and something with kernel

So I had some issues updating nvidia drivers. Looks like I am not the only one with that as there are numerous threads with that topic. I couldn’t find anything fitting my exact problem though…

My current situation is as follows:
Kernel 5.9, but others seem to have the same problem(only tested 5.8 and 5.6rt yesterday I think)
GTX 1060 6GB gets picked up
System uses nouveau kernel despite system settings saying non-free 450 drivers are installed.
I light games like shell shock live I get unplayable fps for the whole system
Lutris says I do not have Vulkan support installed
when trying to reinstall the drivers I get the following error:
[andreas@frostfell-manjaro ~]$ sudo mhwd -f -i pci video-nvidia-450xx
[sudo] Passwort für andreas:

Removing video-nvidia-450xx…
Sourcing /etc/mhwd-x86_64.conf
Has lib32 support: true
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
Processing classid: 0300
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/scripts/include/0300
Processing classid: 0302
Prüfe Abhängigkeiten…
Fehler: Konnte den Vorgang nicht vorbereiten (Kann Abhängigkeiten nicht erfüllen)
:: Entfernen von nvidia-450xx-utils verletzt Abhängigkeit ‘nvidia-450xx-utils=450.66’, benötigt von linux56-rt-
nvidia-450xx
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

Also trying to remove 5.6rt kernel results in the following: removing linux56-rt-headers breaks dependency 'linux56-rt-headers' required by linux-rt-manjaro-headers

I already removed a bunch of stuff like cuda and did a lot of reinstalling a few weeks ago and feel like I will break a lot more if I try that again whithout guidance. I would be happy to provide more information if needed and am very sorry if a fix for this has already been provided on this forum.
Thanks in advance!
Also I am probably going with AMD for my next GPU…

You have meta packages installed.
You chose to install linux56-rt-headers (or linux-rt-manjaro) and linux-rt-manjaro-headers
They rely on eachother … so you need to remove them both.

Also … is there any reason you want to RealTime kernels? Those are really just for recording studios and such.

Thats great. But everything above only has to do with package dependencies, not the drivers themselves… so it doesnt really have much to do with nvidia.

Maybe you might want to also see this:

2 Likes

There is no ‘fix’ per say, this is normal behavior (don’t know your initial issue for you to try other kernels).

The message tells you why, can’t remove linux56-rt-headers because another package, linux-rt-manjaro-headers requires it, so guess what’s your next move?

In theory from the application created for that it is really simple to manage video driver, right click, uninstall, right click, install. If it fails click read more and read the error message.

Possible that it is the same issue like here:

Meta packages like linux-rt-manjaro-headers block the uninstall.

I would recommend to uninstall all packages related to the rt kernels. If new dependencies are displaying, remove them also. Keep sure, you are not running a realtime kernel at the moment. Then mhwd should work again.

After removing linux56-rt-nvidia-450xx the reinstall button takes a lot longer to fail.
It seems like it managed to uninstall the driver but it fails to install it again, saying that it cannot find linux59-nvidia-450xx:

Starting
> Removing video-nvidia-450xx...
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/local/pci/video-nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
checking dependencies...
:: ffmpeg optionally requires nvidia-utils: Nvidia NVDEC/NVENC support
:: ksysguard optionally requires nvidia-utils: NVIDIA GPU usage
:: lib32-vulkan-icd-loader optionally requires lib32-vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver
:: steam-manjaro optionally requires vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver
:: steam-manjaro optionally requires lib32-vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver (32bit)
:: vulkan-icd-loader optionally requires vulkan-driver: packaged vulkan driver

Packages (6) lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils-450.66-1  linux419-nvidia-450xx-450.66-10  linux54-nvidia-450xx-450.66-12  linux57-nvidia-450xx-450.66-6  linux58-nvidia-450xx-450.66-15  nvidia-450xx-utils-450.66-1

Total Removed Size:  406.63 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] 
:: Processing package changes...
removing linux58-nvidia-450xx...
removing linux57-nvidia-450xx...
removing linux54-nvidia-450xx...
removing linux419-nvidia-450xx...
removing lib32-nvidia-450xx-utils...
removing nvidia-450xx-utils...
:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/4) Reloading system manager configuration...
(2/4) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(3/4) Updating module dependencies...
(4/4) Updating the desktop file MIME type cache...
> Successfully removed video-nvidia-450xx
> Installing video-nvidia-450xx...
Sourcing /var/lib/mhwd/db/pci/graphic_drivers/nvidia-450xx/MHWDCONFIG
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: target not found: linux59-nvidia-450xx
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
Error: pacman failed!
Error: script failed!

How can I get it to install properly?
And I guess when I am done with that I should reinstall linux 56-rt-nvidia-4500xx?

Did you make sure your system was up to date before removing/installing video drivers? Also your mirrors are up to date and working?

The system is up-to date.
What do you mean by “mirrors”? What are they, where can I check, if they are okay?

Good practice, if you have a question check the Manjaro wiki it contains all the basics: Manjaro Mirrors - Manjaro

There is currently no nvidia 450 for this Kernel in the STABLE branch (I just realized it was linux59 on STABLE branch, right? you are on STABLE branch?).

Before you ask what is a branch, have a look on the wiki: Switching Branches - Manjaro

So as you don’t seem to know a lot or understand a lot, for now I would recommend you to reboot on the stable 5.4 LTS kernel (but here as you already have done some failed changes not sure if it is 100% safe, it should but I can’t guarantee), then remove all other kernels (maybe install another backup LTS kernel), and then reboot and install video drivers.

No offense, but the issue here is mainly that you mess with kernels without understanding what you’re doing. So for now keep it simple and stay 100% LTS for the kernel so you will not have issues like that you don’t understand how to fix.

As I said in another thread if you can not answer to yourself the exact reason why you install other kernels, then you probably should not, for now (with time you’ll learn things and get comfortable but it is currently not the case so keep yourself out of trouble). If you can answer why then you probably know more and can get around issue or even not have these issues in the first place

2 Likes

Seems to be working now with 5.4, System reports to be using nvidia drivers and framerate is back.
Thank you very much for helping me out. Usually I am able to solve issues by myself, afterall I have been using linux for almost a decade now, but this one was just to much for me.
Also my bad for not looking in the wiki, it has been a long day.
Thank you!

2 Likes

Glad it is fixed. I see probably two issues that blocked you, you’re not hardcore on following all the available info like knowing which package is available with kernels (5.9 is still a RC kernel I think on Stable branch, but still it doesn’t have all video drivers available even on Testing and Unstable branches), and the meta package blocking you, if you did not install it, it installed itself automatically to replace a kernel reaching EOL (End Of Life), this is automated to not break systems when a kernel is removed, it is a meta package which replaces it so the user has the new replacement for it (other similar meta packages are linux-lts, linux-latest, for example).

:+1:

Now you know more :slight_smile: and probably will not suffer such issue in the future

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.