Nvidia 1060 6gb - stuttering on proprietary drivers when secondary display connected and disabled

Hey guys!
I've been using Manjaro for around 3 months now, and I am very pleased all in all!

Currently my only problem is this:
I've had my PC freeze completely, where only a hard reset does the job.
I pinpointed it to the graphics (due to the way the LEDs on the card change after such a reboot) and further to the drivers (as I've been running a stable windows 10 installation for the past year on the card without it crashing on me).

I suspected the infamous Nouveau driver, and so I went through the guide posted here in order to set up the proprietary driver.

Instantly I saw improvement in boot time and the display looks overall more crisp (or it might just be placebo).

And now for the problem:
The display shows clear signs of stuttering about once every second. This is most noticeable when moving the cursor around, but anything on the screen will do a little stutter at the same time.

I've had this exact same problem a while back when I tried to install ArchLinux, and after three failed attempts at configuring the drivers I decided to go for Manjaro which seemed to work out of the box.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated!

EDIT:
I forgot to mention one thing - I had a secondary display connected via HDMI which is usually kept turned off (I use it for movie watching on windows only) and I kept it disabled in the settings.
After trying anything I could find online (composer, pipeline, etc.) I came across this and one of the comments was about the secondary display. After reading it, I plucked the HDMI out, leaving just my main monitor on DVI, and the problem instantly diapered.

I can't call it solved, as I would much rather not have to pluck out/reconnect the HDMI all the time, but I have no idea where to start with fixing it permanently. Any advice would be appreciated!

smelled really bad? :smirk:

is the hdmi port the secondary display is using connected to the GPU or to the motherboard? if it's connected to the motherboard then it's probably using the cpu's integrated graphics or at least enabling them. with both monitors plugged in and turned on, post these outputs

inxi -Fxxxza --no-host
xrandr --prop
xrandr --listproviders

Well. it's been two days and I can't reproduce the problem even with the secondary display now connected (in both on and disabled modes).

I guess we can close this up. :smiley:

Thank you for your reply @dglt!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by